[gothic-l] Re: Vandal (was: Goths of North Africa)

Francisc Czobor fericzobor at YAHOO.COM
Fri Sep 10 15:12:31 UTC 2004

Hi Vladimir,

the tendency to diphtong assimilation is such an universal linguistic
feature (attested independently in several Indo-European branches,
but also in many non-Indo-European languages) that the pronounciation
of "ai" as [ei] in modern Lithuanian is not necessarily conected to
such a tendency in other languages.
Regarding the "iotation" of i in Ukrainian, I don't know about such a
tendency in any Germanic language.

Francisc

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, åÇÏÒÏ× ÷ÌÁÄÉÍÉÒ <vegorov at i...> wrote:
> *****<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-
com:office:office" />

> Hi Francisc and Llama Nom!
>

> I dare add a couple of small comments-questions that
> may appear interesting though not very useful.
>
> 1. The diphthong <ai> in modern Lithuanian sounds for my
> (i.e. Russian) ear rather closer to /ej/ than to /aj/.
> Supposing some common features in East Germanic and Baltic
> (or influence of the first upon the latter), might this be
> an explanation of the alternating /ails/ and /eils/
> in Latin reproductions?
>
> 2. In modern Ukrainian the letter <i> (applied only
> at the beginning of a word or after a vowel) is pronounced
> with a fricative consonant before <i>, something between
> /ji/ and /gi/. Of course, the use of the same letter <i>
> by both old Gothic and new Ukrainian is a coincidence,
> but may be the fact itself of "iotation" of <i> after
> an open syllable a reflection of some East Germanic trends?
>

> Vladimir

<fericzobor at y...>
> wrote:
> > Hi, Dirk and Llama Nom
> >
> > In the Gothic-l message no. 1389 of December 18, 1999, Ryszard
> > Derdzinski ("Reikahardus") wrote:
> >
> > "...we have only one or two attested Vandalic sentences coming
from
> > North Africa.
> > They should be known to all the East Germanic linguists. I met
them
> > in J. Strzelczyk's "Wandalowie i ich afrykanskie panstwo" (in
> > Polish). The first sentence can be treated as Vandalic without
> doubt -
> >  in Florentinus' poem we read: _Frója armés!_ translated in Latin
> > as 'Domine miserere' - it was called from the Arian altars in
North
> > Africa.
> > The second sentence is usualy treated as Gothic text (and should
> find
> > interest in the list), but can be Vandalic as well. It comes from
> > North African poem entitled "De conviviis barbaris". We read
there:
> > _Inter eils goticum skapjamatzjajadrincan_ / Non audet quisquam
> > dignos edicere versus_. The Gothic (or Vandalic) sentence is
here:
> > _Eils! Scapjam matzja(n) ja drincan_.
> > In pure Gothic it could be: _Heils! Scapjam matjan jah
drigkan_..."

blank email to <gothic-l-unsubscribe at egroups.com>.

> Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

<http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129q14mtn/M=295196.4901138.6071305.300117
6/D=groups/S=1705297328:HM/EXP=1094840203/A=2128215/R=0/SIG=10se96mf6/
*http://companion.yahoo.com> click here
>   <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?
M=295196.4901138.6071305.3001176/D=groups/S=:HM/A=2128215/rand=1963963
83>

http://us.click.yahoo.com/J8kdrA/y20IAA/yQLSAA/wWMplB/TM