[gothic-l] Re: Vandal (was: Goths of North Africa)

llama_nom penterakt at FSMAIL.NET
Fri Sep 10 17:24:13 UTC 2004

Hi Francisc,

> It is true that at that time Latin showed the palatalization (or
> affrication) of t before j, but I don't see why a Latin author
should
> apply this also in transcribing non-Latin words.

Maybe barbarian words and names often reached the ears of educated
writers via not-co-educated soldiers, etc., who might have
assimilated them to their own speech.

Alternatively, since [tj] and [tsj] don't comprise distinct phonemes
in Latin at this time, just more or less educated ways of talking, it
could be that with the best will in the world, a Latin speaker would
miss the difference.  I've noticed that sometimes when people write
non-standard English they use more phonetic, or more 'barbarous'
spellings, even when the word in questions is no different from the
standard word.  The author of De Conviviis Barbaris clearly didn't
care much for Vandal culture; maybe he deliberately or unconsciously
included features of Vulgar Latin phonology to add to the impression
of the uncouth, and - well - vulgar.

On the other hand, maybe features of Latin pronunciation did cross
the language barrier to Vandal.  A similar phenomenon has happened in
more recent times with the spread of uvular /r/ from Parisian French
to parts of Germany, the Netherlands & Scandinavia.  Or maybe some
genuine spontaneous independent changes are recorded here.  Until
more evidence turns up, we might be stuck...

> Regarding the tendency to diphtong assimilation, I had in view not
> only the Salzburg manuscript, but also the Crimean Gothic (which
> indeed is rendered very corrupted by Busbecq and/or his editors).

On the face of it, Busbecq's list is a strange mish-mash of High &
Low German forms.  I've even heard the idea that it's not Gothic at
all, but the speech of later German settlers.  Personally, I do think
it is genuine late Gothic (the forms of the numbers are particularly
telling) but the spellings are probably confused with languages more
familiar to the transcriber.  That's not to say it couldn't contain
information, from its much later date, about the development of
Gothic diphthongs.

JB Bury: History of the Later Roman Empire • Vol. II Chap. XVII
www.ukans.edu/history/index/europe/ancient_rome/E/Roman/Texts/secondar
y/BURLAT/17*.html

Sepeculations on De conviviis barbaris (David Salo)
http://tolklang.quettar.org/elfling-mirror/017nn/01791

De conviviis barbaris
http://www.univie.ac.at/indogermanistik/quellentexte.cgi?5

Bury has some intersting details about the ultimate fate of the
Vandals, by the way - some captured warriors served as defenders of
the Persian border, apparently.  Also, another Vandal phrase
arguably  occurs in Florentinus's panegyric on Hilderic (the second
to last of the Vandal kings) - "Vandalirice potens", which could be
read as Gothic *WANDILE REIK 'king of the Vandals' + the Latin 2nd
decl. vocative ending.  And he tells a good story.

> Regarding FROJA ARMES: you're right, in classical Gothic it's
FRAUJA
> ARMAIS (not "frauja armeis", as I wrote, since the verb is arman,
not
> *armjan, as I thought).

The equivalent 2nd subj. inflection for a Class 1 weak verb would be -
jais.

> indeed Vandalic! (in the 11th century, the freshly christianized
> Hungarians used as war slogan: "Kyrie eleison!"; if "froja armes"
is
> Vandalic, than we could also consider that "kyrie eleison" is
> Hungarian)

Good point.  With so little evidence about Vandal, we can't take
anything for granted.  But still, a Vandal FROJA ARMES or FRAUJA
ARMAIS isn't so far fetched, considering the examples of the Gothic-
like personal names.

Llama Nom

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "Francisc Czobor" <fericzobor at y...>

(http://www.koeblergerhard.de/germanistischewoerterbuecher/gotischeswo
> erterbuch/Ostgermanisch.pdf)
> gives only the following Vandalic words:
>
> Wandalisch
> armen, wand., sw. V.: nhd. erbarmen --- sich erbarmen; ne.
merciful --

http://us.click.yahoo.com/J8kdrA/y20IAA/yQLSAA/wWMplB/TM