[gothic-l] Re: Vandal (was: Goths of North Africa)

Francisc Czobor fericzobor at YAHOO.COM
Sat Sep 11 10:36:20 UTC 2004

Hi, Llama Nom

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "llama_nom" <penterakt at f...> wrote:

> > indeed Vandalic! (in the 11th century, the freshly christianized
> > Hungarians used as war slogan: "Kyrie eleison!"; if "froja armes"
> is
> > Vandalic, than we could also consider that "kyrie eleison" is
> > Hungarian)
>

> Good point.  With so little evidence about Vandal, we can't take
> anything for granted.  But still, a Vandal FROJA ARMES or FRAUJA
> ARMAIS isn't so far fetched, considering the examples of the Gothic-
> like personal names.
>

> Llama Nom

Indeed, I have to admit that this comparison is exagerated. I just
wanted to point out that the Vandals, as Arian Christians, may have
used Gothic religious formulae, just like the Hungarians using the
Greek "Kyrie eleison" or the Turks using the Arabic "Allah akbar" or
the Japanese using the Sanskritic "Namu Amida".

Francisc

http://us.click.yahoo.com/J8kdrA/y20IAA/yQLSAA/wWMplB/TM