[gothic-l] Is my name Gothic?

macmaster at RISEUP.NET macmaster at RISEUP.NET
Sun Apr 10 20:01:13 UTC 2005

hi Doug,
It seems to me very unlikely that it would be Gothic; Alsace was briefly
under the rule of the Burgundians (an East Germanic people like the Goths)
but they were driven out by the Huns after less than a generation and the
area was settled by Alemanns, Suebes, and Franks (all West German tribes).
 The Goths were never up in that area.  I'd guess that your name would be
more likely a cognate from one of the other Germanic languages, rather
than Gothic.

Also, I am fairly certain that it can be said that no Gothic surnames have
survived to present.

Tom MacMaster

http://us.click.yahoo.com/rkgkPB/UOnJAA/Zx0JAA/wWMplB/TM