[gothic-l] Custom Question

Larry J. Swain theswain at OPERAMAIL.COM
Fri Apr 22 04:12:21 UTC 2005

I ran across something that I'm curious to track down further, but
really don't have the tools or expertise to, so I'm asking here for
help.  Forgive any cross-posting.  While looking up a different word
in Zoega's Dictionary of Old Icelandic, I ran across the word "vondr"
and one of the things it says under this word is: "to twist a wand in
the hair", prepatory to beheading a culprit, but gives no citations.

So I was wondering where to look for citations, examples of
beheadings in Norse lit and any information on the practice of
putting a stick in the hair before execution (and by the executioner
or in the hair of the executed?).

This would be related to the Gothic word wanduz, I think, and I'm
wondering if there is any record of such a practice or use of the word
in Gothic.

Many Thanks,

Larry Swain

http://us.click.yahoo.com/rkgkPB/UOnJAA/Zx0JAA/wWMplB/TM