[gothic-l] Custom Question

John Stewart john.stewart at IUED.UNI-HEIDELBERG.DE
Wed Apr 27 20:55:55 UTC 2005

Hi Larry,

There are some beheadings in (Snorri Sturluson's) Heimskringla, namely in
the part about the vows of the Jomsborg vikings. Forgive me if you already
know the story: it's where Earl Sigvald has vowed to sail up to Norway and
kill Earl Hakon or drive him out of the country. The Jomsborg vikings get
defeated at Hjorungavagr, prisoners are taken on land and beheaded one by
one. But one of the Jomsborg vikings, a guy named Sigurd, pretends he
doesn't want his hair bloodied. He gathers his hair up above his head as
he's bent over, holding it out of the way of the axe. One of the captors
does him the favor of grabbing the hair to hold it clear. But as the axe is
coming down, Sigurd yanks his head back toward himself, thereby dragging the
arms of the hair-holder into the path of the axe, so that both arms get
chopped off.

A long stick to wrap in the hair might have saved that captor's arms!

As I understand it, a similar but different version appears in the
Jomsvikinga saga, but I don't have a copy of that.

kind regards,
John Stewart

to <gothic-l-unsubscribe at egroups.com>.

--