Tenses etc.

Fredrik gadrauhts at HOTMAIL.COM
Wed Aug 3 12:19:53 UTC 2005

Speaking of tenses I wonder somethings.

First of all, is gothic poor with tenses?
What I can understand there's only one for now, present tense. And
one for what has happend, preterite. So in that case what would be in
english:
I saw (or did see if that's a possible form), I have seen, and I had
seen. These will all be translated in gothic to Ik sahw.
Also a future tense I guess there is, but that's just skulan +
infinitive.
If I'm not totaly wrong it could also work with present participle to
describe something that happens or happend at a special time. E.g.
Broþar meins gaggands ist/was. = My brother is/was going.
Or, broþar meins gaggis/iddja þagkjands. = My brother is/was thinking
whilst he goes/went.
I wonder most if there's any way to translate a sentence such as have
done, had done. And maybe a lot other tenses that I can think of
right now.

I have been a bit confused lately. In my book I've read that there's
three moods in gothic. The swedish names of these are indikativ,
konjunktiv and imperativ. I'm not good at the english names of
grammar word but when I checked it out in a dictionary it turned out
that konjunktiv is subjunctive in english. In verbix it says that the
three moods are indicative, imperative and optative. Btw. optative is
optativ in swedish. What's real? Is this third mood subjunctive or
optative? As far as I know it ain't much difference between them
anyway, but I don't know for sure.

/Fredrik