a Gothic poem (verse 3)--syntax, word usage

llama_nom 600cell at OE.ECLIPSE.CO.UK
Mon Aug 15 13:05:32 UTC 2005

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "Roman Rausch" <aranwe at m...> wrote:

> Third stanza:
>
> Þáu fônu, sáiwala qiwa,
> Or fire, [a] spirit [which is] quick,
>
> Þaírh ita diwand waíhteis
> By it die the things,
>
> Akei rûna libáináis raíhtis,
> Yet [a] secret [of] life indeed,
>
> Gudane baírhta giba?
> [Of] the gods [a] bright gift?

You're getting better at this!  Only two grammar suggestions and a
semantic caution for you this time...  The genitive plural
of 'guþ' "god" would be 'gude', a neuter a-stem, but takes masculine
attributes in singular when applied to the Christian god.  Perhaps
you were remembering *Gutane "of the Goths" (from the Pietroassa
inscription <gutani>)?  The other thing is that RAIHTIS, except when
it's contradicting a question that expects a negative answer,
typically occurs in "second position" in the sentence, either
literally after the first word, or after the first
significant/stressed group of words.  From the Skeireins:

at raihtis mann us missaleikom wistim ussatidamma,
us saiwalai raihtis jah leika

jah þata raihtis anasiunjo wato jah...

ufarþeihandei raihtis witodis hrainein, iþ...

þatei sa raihtis Fareisaius was

du leitilamma mela raihtis bruks was ... iþ...

In this last example, RAIHTIS seems to have strayed quite far into
the sentence, but in fact I think this still counts as "second
position", as 'du leitilamma mela' "for a little while" is all one
noun phrase.  My feeling is that if a Gothic speaker had to make any
slight pause while saying this, they'd be more likely to do so
directly after RAIHTIS than before.

> Is it possible to put an adjective after the noun? (Streitenberg's
> syntax part isn't online, hmpf..

Sadly not.  But it's available from Universitätsverlag Winter for
7.00 Euros [ https://www.innovativ-
media.de/inni/winter/deutsch/frame.htm ].  In fact they have a
number of Gothic titles:

Die gotische Bibel  Streitberg, Wilhelm
Gotische Syntax.  Streitberg, Wilhelm Stopp, Hugo
Gotische Texte.  Kienle, Richard von
Gotisches etymologisches Wörterbuch.  Holthausen, Ferdinand
Hispano-gotisches Namenbuch.  Piel, Joseph M Kremer, Dieter
Nominale Wortbildung der gotischen Sprache.  Casaretto, Antje

> I looked up in Wright's grammar (pp.
> 182-194) but couldn't find anything concerning this point..) And
if
> not, what about a relative clause with omission of the copula, so:
> _sáiwala soei qiwa [ist]_?

Seems fine to me.  Acceptable poetic license.  Though the omission
of the copula in the Bible is just in immitation of Greek, in all
the examples I've seen, 'apposition' is a device much used in Old
English poetry.  That last sentence was an example of it.  With
subordination instead of apposition, I could have said: "a device
which was much used..."  Sentences in OE poetry can be very long and
loose, with much paratactic incrementation, so I think what you've
done is quite in keeping with that.

I take it you mean "quick" in the archaic English sense of "living" -
- in which case, that's right.

Gothic AHMA "spirit", = Gk. PNEUMA, is the word used for a
disembodied and disembodyable consciousness.  But 'sailawa' may
still be appropriate to your poem: see what you think.

SAIWALA = Gk. PSUXH, in spite of its cognate "soul", often means
something more like "life".  When someone lays down their life (i.e.
sacrifices it) for lambs, or loses their life to gain the world,
this is the noun used.  'saiwala', PSUXH, is something that would be
destroyed if you died and went to hell (Mt 10,28), so it's
not "soul" in the sense of an immortal spirit that lives on after
death.  At Php 2,30, Paul praises Epaphroditus, saying that he had
no regard for his own life "ufarmunonds saiwalai seinai".  Clealy
he's not saying he had no regard for his 'soul' -- if anything, the
opposite.  In such instances, English bibles such as the King James
have "life".

Sometimes in the KJB, "soul" is used where Gothic has SAIWALA, Greek
PSUXH.  This is where it refers to the emotional part of a living
person's mind, e.g. Mk 12,30 us allai saiwalai þeinai "with all thy
soul", that is: with all your heart, willingly and full of
enthusiasm.  In this sense someone's 'saiwala' can be disturbed, or
pierced with a metaphorical sword of grief.  L 1,45 jah qaþ Mariam:
mikileid saiwala meina fraujan, KJB "And Mary said, My soul doth
magnify the Lord"; Good News Bible "My heart praises the Lord".

In the Skeireins, 'saiwala' is the non-physical parts of a person,
contrasted with 'leik', and is translated "soul" by Marchand.  It is
also something that was prepared for baptism by John's teaching.
These instances might be grouped together with the "mind as seat of
the emotions" definition.  At Mk 12,33, 'saiwala' stands
alongside 'fraþi' and 'hairto': "to love him with all the heart, and
with all the understanding, and with all the soul, and with all the
strength".  But it's not clear just from this, to what extent these
are distinct entities or hyperbole.

Finally, SAIWALA and the adjective 'SAMA-SAIWALS' are used for
agreement/accord between people.  þatei standiþ in ainamma ahmin,
ainai saiwalai samana arbaidjandans galaubeinai aiwaggeljons =
KJB: "that ye stand fast in one spirit, with one mind striving
together for the faith of the gospel" (Php 1,27).

Llama Nom