About the name Poland

faltin2001 dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Thu Dec 8 13:59:49 UTC 2005

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "Fredrik" <gadrauhts at h...> wrote:

> According to a source I have the name of Poland comes from a slavic
> word pol- that is equal to the germanic fal-. Fal- is a part of some
> city names in Sweden such as Falun and Falköping. I'm not sure what
> stem this word belonged to but a guess would be u-stem. In gothic
this
> would be *falus in that case and couldn't we have Faluland for
Poland?
> Maybe you think this i way too far and unsimilar to the name in other
> languages...maybe I think so too. This was just a thought that came
> me right now...
>
> /Fredrik

Hi Fredrik,

I think it is widely accepted that the name Poland is derived from an
ethnonym Polane, the name of the west Slawic people who settled in the
region in early medieval time. The name Polane, in turn, derives from
slavic 'pole' meaning field. The names Poland and Poles have absolutely
nothing to do with Gothic or Germanic in general.

Cheers

http://us.click.yahoo.com/7zgKlB/dnQLAA/Zx0JAA/wWMplB/TM