About the name Poland

Ingemar Nordgren ingemar at NORDGREN.SE
Thu Dec 8 22:20:51 UTC 2005

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "faltin2001" <dirk at s...> wrote:

> --- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "Fredrik" <gadrauhts at h...> wrote:
> >
> > According to a source I have the name of Poland comes from a slavic
> > word pol- that is equal to the germanic fal-. Fal- is a part of some
> > city names in Sweden such as Falun and Falköping. I'm not sure what
> > stem this word belonged to but a guess would be u-stem. In gothic
> this
> > would be *falus in that case and couldn't we have Faluland for
> Poland?
> > Maybe you think this i way too far and unsimilar to the name in other
> > languages...maybe I think so too. This was just a thought that came
> > me right now...
> >
> > /Fredrik
>

> Hi Fredrik,
>
> I think it is widely accepted that the name Poland is derived from an
> ethnonym Polane, the name of the west Slawic people who settled in the
> region in early medieval time. The name Polane, in turn, derives from
> slavic 'pole' meaning field. The names Poland and Poles have absolutely
> nothing to do with Gothic or Germanic in general.
>
> Cheers
> Dirk

Hi Dirk,

I think you have misunderstood  Fredrik! He just suggested the NAME
Poland could possibly be translated as 'Faluland' in Gothic as a
neologism I presume. Accordingly he makes no connection between the
NAME Poland and the Goths.
Best
Ingemar

http://us.click.yahoo.com/7zgKlB/dnQLAA/Zx0JAA/wWMplB/TM