New to the List, Learning Gothic

Mike raging_viking at YAHOO.COM
Wed Dec 14 05:32:30 UTC 2005

Greetings!

 I am new to the list and I joined because of my research into the
Gothic language. I think that it is a very beautiful, fascinating, and
complex language and I am having alot of fun learning it.

 I am amazed by how many modern english words can be transmuted into
Gothic with a high degree of accuracy, and I am even taking some
amusing liberties with it, for an example I turned the word "jive"
into a gothic equivalant: jeivan just by following the rules of the
ablaut (i turns into ei and the e at the end is dropped and is
replaced with -an).

 This is the very first language that I have ever attempted outside of
English. Some of it is a bit confusing, for an example, they use the
word "the" in two different contextes, for an example:

Example of Sa used:
Sa hunds ni beitith
The hound [do]not bite.

Example of Thai used:
Thai wulfos beitand
The wolves bite

And if you look above, "ni" means "do not" or "does not", yet the word
"does" is not in front of "ni"! Why is this?

And for some reason, if the noun is singular, the verb ends with -ith,
but if the noun being referred to is plural, the verb ends with -and.
I am also wondering why the present singular strong verb "beitan" ends
with -an, why not just "beit"?

 Just so many questions....I'm hoping that there will be someone who
will be willing to answer some of my questions.

Salutations!
Michael

http://us.click.yahoo.com/VpTY2A/lzNLAA/yQLSAA/wWMplB/TM