Word relation question

David Kiltz derdron at GMX.NET
Tue Dec 20 14:40:46 UTC 2005

On 20.12.2005, at 12:50, Fredrik wrote:

> Is the relation between þrinhan and þrangian the same as between sitan
> and satian (equivalent to swedish sitta, sätta and german sitzen,
> setzen)?

The formal relation is the same. However, not all _-jan_ verbs are
causatives. There is a smaller (in Gothic very small) number that has
'iterative' or 'intensive' meaning. On an Indo-European level, cf.
e.g. Greek _petomai_ 'I fly' vs _poteomai_ 'I fly around, hither and
thither'.
In cases like Goth. _thunkjan_ 'seem, appear (to be)' vs _thankjan_
'to think'. An impersonal verb ("methinks, Germ. mich dünkt") is made
into a transitive verb 'to think'. Cf. also ON _thekkia_ 'understand,
know'.
The semantic relation in your case would be something like normal vs
intensive, I suppose. (It continues, BTW, in German _dringen_ vs
_drängen_).

David Kiltz

Know an art & music fan? Make a donation in their honor this holiday season!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/.6dcNC/.VHMAA/Zx0JAA/wWMplB/TM