Word relation question

llama_nom 600cell at OE.ECLIPSE.CO.UK
Tue Dec 20 18:24:04 UTC 2005

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, David Kiltz <derdron at g...> wrote:

> The semantic relation in your case would be something like normal
vs
> intensive, I suppose. (It continues, BTW, in German _dringen_ vs
> _drängen_).

And Old Icelandic:

þryngva < *þringwan
þrøngva < *þrangwjan

As often, the strong verb has an intransitive meaning, the derived
(weak) verb is transitive.  Isn't this the original difference
(between "moving in a forceful/thrusting way", and "forcing/pressing
something", i.e. causing it to move in a thrusting way), rather than
a difference in intensity?  I agree the -jan ending is used in
various ways, but here I think it wouldn't be far off the mark to
call it "causative".

Llama Nom

Know an art & music fan? Make a donation in their honor this holiday season!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/.6dcNC/.VHMAA/Zx0JAA/wWMplB/TM