Gothic compared to other Germanic languages

David Kiltz derdron at GMX.NET
Thu Dec 22 06:31:14 UTC 2005

On 17.12.2005, at 02:48, mike r wrote:

> Someone told me that Gothic is the hardest Germanic
> language to learn

Gothic is rich in forms. That means, there is a bit to learn. At the
same time, the original state of things in Germanic are clearly
visible. Declensions and verbal paradigms aren't 'blurred' due to
sound change. Also, Gothic has the advantage of being passed down in
a coherent way (writing, homogenous corpus). Gothic is certainly an
ideal language to learn, if you wish to familiarize yourself with
germanic languages. Is it the most difficult ? Mmmhh... that's not
something you can answer in any 'absolute' way, I think. Depends on
your background. If you've never learned a germanic language but e.g.
'classical' languages like Latin and Greek, Gothic may not be that
difficult, as it's rather regular etc. However, if you know German or
English, the older stages of that languages may be easier. Still, I
think Old HIgh German is rather complex because of its many variants
and the way it's been transmitted. Also, if you look at actual Old
Norse texts (not the normalised ones), they're not exactly easy to read.
It's true, however, the more you know, the clearer and easier things
become.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you all !

David Kiltz

http://us.click.yahoo.com/u8TY5A/tzNLAA/yQLSAA/wWMplB/TM