Gothic compared to other Germanic languages

faltin2001 dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Fri Dec 23 11:20:32 UTC 2005

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, David Kiltz <derdron at g...> wrote:

> On 17.12.2005, at 02:48, mike r wrote:
>
> > Someone told me that Gothic is the hardest Germanic
> > language to learn
>
> Gothic is rich in forms. That means, there is a bit to learn. At
the
> same time, the original state of things in Germanic are clearly
> visible. Declensions and verbal paradigms aren't 'blurred' due to
> sound change. Also, Gothic has the advantage of being passed down
in
> a coherent way (writing, homogenous corpus). Gothic is certainly
an
> ideal language to learn, if you wish to familiarize yourself with
> germanic languages. Is it the most difficult ? Mmmhh... that's not
> something you can answer in any 'absolute' way, I think. Depends
on
> your background. If you've never learned a germanic language but
e.g.
> 'classical' languages like Latin and Greek, Gothic may not be that
> difficult, as it's rather regular etc. However, if you know German
or
> English, the older stages of that languages may be easier. Still,
> think Old HIgh German is rather complex because of its many
variants
> and the way it's been transmitted.

Hi David,

I think this is an interesting point. Old High German is of course
not a single language as the name might suggest. Instead its an
umbrella term for a wide variety of West Germanic dialects, which
were spoken south of the so called Benrath-Line. Hence, Old High
German are those West Germanic dialects that went through the second
sound shift, as opposed to the West Germanic dialects north of the
Benrath line, which were not (or much less) affected. The latter are
often summaries under the term Old Saxon (but also include Frisian,
Anglo-Saxon and Old-Low Frankish), while the former, i.e. Old High
German include very diverse dialects such as Old Frankish, Old
Bavarian, Old Alamannic, Old Suabian and others.

Hence, I think it is misleading to compare Gothic with Old High
German. The former is a fragmentary East Germanic language that is
transmitted mostly in only one single source, while the latter
includes several dialects that are transmitted in many different
texts over a period of some 300 years.

'Real' Gothic, i.e. East Germanic would likely have been quite
diverse as well and learning Gothic today is probably comparable to
learning English from one single 16th century bible translation.

Cheers

Know an art & music fan? Make a donation in their honor this holiday season!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/.6dcNC/.VHMAA/Zx0JAA/wWMplB/TM