[gothic-l] Re: A new word, Gothic birds, etc.

llama_nom 600cell at OE.ECLIPSE.CO.UK
Sat Jan 8 02:00:42 UTC 2005

Oscar,

Ni ibnaleik ak galeik! ("Not equal, but similar", to paraphrase the
Skeireins...)  Ahaks "pigeon".  Anaks "suddenly".  But alright for
alliteration, oh dear:

Nu skulum namnjan
namna fugle,
anuþ jah ahak,
all þatei fliugiþ,
hrabn hrukjandan,
hraiwadubon,
aran swaswe agatja,
airþabundanana hanan.
Gauros gansuns
goljand sik uhtwon.
Falka sa frija
ufar fulþon galaiþ,
unafswaggwiþs
sweþauh waijiþ.
Sparwan, sparwari
bi spedistin qiþa.

Fredrik,

Looks good to me.  I'd wondered about this word ages ago, before I
had access to all these great dictionaries on the internet.  I can't
remember what conclusion I reached, if any, but I didn't know about
the Lithuanian cognate then--which I think is what suggests an i-
stem.  Makes a nice addition to our Gothic vocabulary!

The normal practice is to change -d to -þ at the end of a word or
before -s, but sometimes the -d was written as such.  E.g. gods &
goþs both occur, and by chance the former is actually more common.
Apparently such spellings are most often found in certain specific
sections of the Bible, e.g. Luke's gospel.

Oh and on the subject of reconstructing vocabulary, you might be
interested in Post 1223, a very early message from Francisc which I
came across recently.  Especially the ingenious lists of chemical
and geographical terms.

The Cleasby & Vigfusson Icelandic-English Dictionary has some
interesting comments on Gothic, including at least one probable loan-
word into Old Spanish, not listed in Koebler: *brano "heifer" (young
female cow) = OIc. brana.

And finally, Francisc,

Good work on the Crossword!  I've added your guesses.  I hope it
isn't making anyone too cross yet...

Llama Nom

http://us.click.yahoo.com/pkgkPB/SOnJAA/Zx0JAA/wWMplB/TM