[gothic-l] 1st dual imperative & reflexive pronouns with logical subject?

llama_nom 600cell at OE.ECLIPSE.CO.UK
Fri Jan 14 07:25:45 UTC 2005

Haila alla,

Two questions:

1) Wright and Braune/Helm both omit a 1st person dual imperative
from their verb paradigms.  Does this mean that there are simply no
relevent examples from which to tell what it was?  But then why not
guess at *-os, since 1st & 2nd person imperatives otherwise =
indicative.  Or is there an example of the plural used in place of
the dual?

2)  In both Norse and Gothic grammars I've read that reflexive
pronouns only apply to the subject of the verb.  In Icelandic
however, these can be used even where the "logical subject" is in an
oblique case: Hverjum þykir sinn fugl fagur.  Whether this is the
rule, I'm not sure, but there are also a couple of instances in
Snorri's Gylfaginning.  What I'm wondering is, are there any
examples showing how Gothic behaves in such circumstances.

Llama Nom

http://us.click.yahoo.com/pkgkPB/SOnJAA/Zx0JAA/wWMplB/TM