[gothic-l] Neologisms "Of Yore" (WAS: Re: Neologisms Dictionary)

thiudans thiudans at YAHOO.COM
Wed Jan 26 09:11:11 UTC 2005

I hope you don't mind if I just cut & paste from my files. I don't
have the time to collate the information at the time but I wanted to
make it available, so I'm sure if you comb through it it will become
lisible. (This stuff goes *way* back! -- of course everything from
before the switch to egroups/yahoogroups is lost sadly :/) Also I have
collected somewhere the Go. reconstructions Grimm formulated in his
teutonic mythology. I'll try to find those for the reconstructional
wordhoard.

cheers,
Matthew

----

Salo, David	WISTR LAG WIGS RAIHTS, WRAIQS NU IST
Salo, David; Petersen, Christ	stafs, stabeis "stave"
Salo, David	bokastafs "letter, character"
Salo, David	Duhwe skulja ik ija insaihwan? Hwa qithand ija thatei ik
skulja kunnan?
Gerritsen, René	wulflus in hauhistjam guda jah ana airflai gawairfli in
mannam godis wiljins!
Taylor, Gerry	Bokarei razdos gutiskaizos,
 Skautland               Scotland
 Hweitei (wf)            Whiteness; der. "hweits"
 Aideinbaurgs (f)        Edinburgh; to be declined like "baurgs".
 Rafskulda (f)           Electricity bill ("raf" as suggested by
others, skulda like
Icelandic skuld; Gothic skula = debtor)
 Katus (m)               Cat, from L. "catus"
 Haurdilo (wf)           Small door, hurdle, (cat-)flap; suggested
diminutive of
"haurds"
 Bi thana wig            By the way, incidentally  (sorry!)
 Taglisks (aj)           Hairy, furry; der. tagl
 Handgawaurhts           Handmade

Carver, Matthew	cat-flap    *katuhaurds.
	hairy, furry  = taglahs
Taylor, Gerry	hilms taglahs = furry hat
	hilms tagleins = fur hat
Carver, Matt	ufariba = incidentally
	telebisio, teibei, fairsaihwa, siunwairp = t.v.
Gerry T.
	Waurdhuzd - vocabulary

	wissei (f)      Science; cf mithwissei = conscience; Ger.
wissenschaft, Icel.
visindi
 anglisks        English
 thiudisks       German, der. thiud "people"; cf Ger. deutsch, Icel. thysk
 bi allata       Completely; cf bi sumata
 afmuns (f)      Randomness, chance; af + muns = design, plan
 wau'rpilon      Throw dice, der. wairpan = throw; cf Ger. wurfeln ?
der. werfen
 anakanna'ins (f) Lecture, der. kannjan = make known; cf anakunnains = a
reading
 ibnassus (m)    Equation; attested in sense "evenness"; ibnaleiks = equal
	bokabaurd (n)   Blackboard (chalkboard); boka + baurd
	frai'hna (f)    Question, der. fraihnan; cf Ger. frage
	bi fullata      Fully; cf bi sumata
	atwaurd (f)     Statement; at + waurd
	infrisahts (f)  Imagination; in + frisahts = image

O'Neill, Tim	Gutanhaims "Goth-home"
	sigisrohsn "victory-hall"
	munthauhjodus "mouth-tumult"
	luithareis "poet, skald, bard" [=liuth- (MC.)]
	fagrstibns "sweet-voiced"
	waurmleiko "serpentine"
	dauhtrohsn "feast-hall"
	daufs "deaf"