[gothic-l] Neologisms "Of Yore" (WAS: Re: Neologisms Dictionary)

llama_nom 600cell at OE.ECLIPSE.CO.UK
Wed Jan 26 18:25:00 UTC 2005

Hails Matthew,

Excellent stuff!  Especially *kat(t)uhaurds.  Ahja sweþauh þatei þai
waurdaskapjands alþizans jah frodozans nu waurþeina, bi sumos
waihtins?  But I guess we're a bit spoiled these days with all this
information on the internet at our *figgraandjam.

*handgawaurhts "handmade"
Attested is handuwaurhts (also unhanduwaurhts).

*bi allata "completely"
The attested form is BI ALL, cf. Col 3,22., but *bi allata seems
quite possible.  I've got: (all) alls; (in every respect) bi all, in
allamma; "I am completely deprived" allamma gasleithiths im;
(utterly) all-andjo (looks like a calque on Gk. 'oteleis, which it
may be, but cf. ON alls-endis); (fully, perfectly) fulla-; (totally,
very) ala-; (at all, altogether, for/so/therefore) allis.

VARIOUS "incidentally, by the way"
For bonus marks, an idiomatic way of adding a parenthetical aside
(such as the proximity of swine), or extra little detail (like an
incidental character's name), is with the particles -uh þan, amongst
its various other uses.

aljaleiko(s) = "otherwise, differently" ("by the way" might be
stretching it)

For electricity, how about some derivative of *gles "amber", as in
Pliny's Glesiae "amber isles" of the Baltic.  I think this is how
the Icelandic word is calqued, isn't it?

*katus
Or maybe *kattus < Late Lat. cattus.  The other Germanic forms seem
to be based on this.

*hrabans > *hrabns?

Llama Nom

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "thiudans" <thiudans at y...> wrote:

> I hope you don't mind if I just cut & paste from my files. I don't
> have the time to collate the information at the time but I wanted
> make it available, so I'm sure if you comb through it it will
become
> lisible. (This stuff goes *way* back! -- of course everything from
> before the switch to egroups/yahoogroups is lost sadly :/) Also I
have
> collected somewhere the Go. reconstructions Grimm formulated in his
> teutonic mythology. I'll try to find those for the reconstructional
> wordhoard.
>
> cheers,
> Matthew
>

> ----
>

> Salo, David	WISTR LAG WIGS RAIHTS, WRAIQS NU IST
> Salo, David; Petersen, Christ	stafs, stabeis "stave"
> Salo, David	bokastafs "letter, character"
> Salo, David	Duhwe skulja ik ija insaihwan? Hwa qithand ija
thatei ik
> skulja kunnan?
> Gerritsen, René	wulflus in hauhistjam guda jah ana
airflai gawairfli in
> mannam godis wiljins!
> Taylor, Gerry	Bokarei razdos gutiskaizos,
>  Skautland               Scotland
>  Hweitei (wf)            Whiteness; der. "hweits"
>  Aideinbaurgs (f)        Edinburgh; to be declined like "baurgs".
>  Rafskulda (f)           Electricity bill ("raf" as suggested by
> others, skulda like
> Icelandic skuld; Gothic skula = debtor)
>  Katus (m)               Cat, from L. "catus"
>  Haurdilo (wf)           Small door, hurdle, (cat-)flap; suggested
> diminutive of
> "haurds"
>  Bi thana wig            By the way, incidentally  (sorry!)
>  Taglisks (aj)           Hairy, furry; der. tagl
>  Handgawaurhts           Handmade
>
> Carver, Matthew	cat-flap    *katuhaurds.
> 	hairy, furry  = taglahs
> Taylor, Gerry	hilms taglahs = furry hat
> 	hilms tagleins = fur hat
> Carver, Matt	ufariba = incidentally
> 	telebisio, teibei, fairsaihwa, siunwairp = t.v.
> Gerry T.
> 	Waurdhuzd - vocabulary
>
> 	wissei (f)      Science; cf mithwissei = conscience; Ger.
> wissenschaft, Icel.
> visindi
>  anglisks        English
>  thiudisks       German, der. thiud "people"; cf Ger. deutsch,
Icel. thysk
>  bi allata       Completely; cf bi sumata
>  afmuns (f)      Randomness, chance; af + muns = design, plan
>  wau'rpilon      Throw dice, der. wairpan = throw; cf Ger.
wurfeln ?
> der. werfen
>  anakanna'ins (f) Lecture, der. kannjan = make known; cf
anakunnains = a

http://us.click.yahoo.com/rkgkPB/UOnJAA/Zx0JAA/wWMplB/TM