[gothic-l] Snake as a positive omen

alarik36 alarik36 at YAHOO.SE
Wed Jan 26 11:05:03 UTC 2005

Hails!

In the gotlandic or "gutnisk" gutasaga from the 13th c there are a
legend about the founders of the gutonian tribe. Hvitastierna
(Whitestar)after coming to the island(maybe in a logboat), with her
husband Tjelvar(seen as a nickname for Thor), lights a fire. The fire
breaks the spell and the island who "natum war uppj oc dagum war
nidur." -At nights was up and at day was down(sank into the sea).
After some time she has a dream that she has three snakes in her
womb. The dream is interpreted that she shall have three sons. It´s a
lucky omen and they are to be called Guti, Graipr and Gunnfiaun. And
those men are all ancestors of the Guta tribe.

I know that a roman writer describes in the 5th or 600 c a gothic
woman that has a dream about snakes in her womb and this is seen as a
good omen among the goths. This could go back to an old believ that
the snake was a fertile omen connected to the old sun-cult. Do
anybody know which chronicler that wrote this?

http://www.expage.com/gothicpage/
http://www.expage.com/uppakra/

http://us.click.yahoo.com/pkgkPB/SOnJAA/Zx0JAA/wWMplB/TM