Grammar questions

Francisc Czobor fericzobor at YAHOO.COM
Tue Jun 28 14:43:58 UTC 2005

Hi Fredrik,

don't know if I'm the most competent, but I'll make a try:

 > 1) Words such as ga-wiss, dis-wiss and af-stass are fem. i-stems.
But
> how are these in e.g. dative or in plural?
> Is the last s removed or is this a part of the root?

The second s in these words is not removed during declension, thus is
part of the stem.
Attested examples (according to Köbler):
gawiss: acc. pl. gawissins
diswiss: gen. sg. diswissais
afstass: gen. sg. afstassais

> 2) How will this sentence best be translated?:
> The strength of all giving men.
> Like: Swinþei allái gibandans gumane.
> Or as: Swinþei alláize gibandane gumane.

Second version is correct (the case-concordance has to be observed):
Swinþei alláize gibandane gumane.

> 3) The form nasiþs (from nasjan), could this be used as noun? And
if
> so, what gender and stem? Or could it be used as adjective?
> If any of these may be. Will the þ become d in e.g. dative? Like
> staþs becomes stadái?
> Which of these sentences is the best?
> a)...jah stodun þái nasiþos faura imma.
> b)...jah stodun þái nasidos faura imma.
> c)...jah stodun þái nasiþái faura imma.
> d)...jah stodun þái nasidái faura imma.

I think variant d is correct, but am not sure (maybe Llama Nom knows
better
)

> 4) How is adjectives  that is ja-, jo-, i- and u-stems conjugated?
> Such as fairneis and midjis and some more...

"Short-stemmed" ja-adjectives: example: midjis "middle"

Singular                                          Plural
                masc.       neutr.
fem.                masc.     neutr.        fem.
Nom.     midjis      midjata, midi       midja
midjai    midja        midjos
Acc.      midjana    midjata, midi      midja               midjans
midja       midjos
Gen.      midjis       midjis                midjaizos
midjaize  midjaize  midjaizo
Dat..      midjamma  midjamma      midjai                 midjaim
midjaim  midjaim

"Long-stemmed" ja-adjectives: differ from the "short-stemmed" ones
only in nom. sing. masc. & fem.: example: wilþeis "wild"
                          Singular
                masc.       neutr.                      fem.
Nom.      wilþeis      wilþjata, wilþi       wilþi
All the rest: like midjis.

i-stems: example: hrains "clean"
                          Singular
                masc.       neutr.                      fem.
Nom.      hrains       hrain                       hrains
All the rest: like ja-stems (see: midjis)

u-stems: example: hardus "hard"
                          Singular
                masc.       neutr.                      fem.
Nom.      hardus       hardu, hardjata      hardus
All the rest: like ja-stems (see: midjis)

> 5) What's the word for 'whole'?
> As in: The whole world = everybody in the world.

The adjective alls is translated as "all, all of, the entire, every,
the whole"; in the same way works the prefix ala-, like in ala-
mans "all humanity, totality of man, entirety of mankind"

> 6) How to make a compund word when the first word has a stemvowel
> that is the same as the second words first vowel.
> e.g. stáins + aqizi = stáina-aqizi or stáinaqizi?

I don't know, but personally I'd prefer "stáinaqizi" (looks better
)

> 7)Here's another genitive question...which sentence is the best?
> a) Atta qinons so juggo.
> b) Atta qinons þizoz juggons.
> This is meant to be: The father of the young woman.

Again the second version: Atta qinons þizoz juggons

All the best,
Francisc