[gothic-l] MSG FWD: Critique wanted on Gothic pronunciation

thiudans thiudans at YAHOO.COM
Wed Mar 9 00:58:15 UTC 2005

I am forwarding this message because
It doesn't appear on the message list on the gothic-l groups site.
I assume this means it for some reason was not posted.
Please accept my apology if this is a repeat.

-Matthew

From: "kurisuto1" [snip]
Date: Sun Mar 6, 2005 10:34am
Subject: Critique wanted on Gothic pronunciation

Hello,

I recorded myself reading Mark 2:1-7 in Gothic:

http://penguin.pearson.swarthmore.edu/~scrist1/mark_gothic.html

I am considering recoding a larger body of Gothic text, so I'd like
to get
as many mistakes ironed out as possible.

I generally followed the pronunciations suggested by Wright (or, at
least, I meant to). However, I followed later scholarship in
pronouncing
ai, au as monophthongs regardless of their etymology.

Thanks!

http://us.click.yahoo.com/rkgkPB/UOnJAA/Zx0JAA/wWMplB/TM