[gothic-l] Re: Critique wanted on Gothic pronunciation

thiudans thiudans at YAHOO.COM
Wed Mar 9 01:08:24 UTC 2005

Sean-

Sounds very good, maybe how text would be read in church, very solemnly.

I would recommend always to hold the double consonants as double even in unstressed
syllables. Listen to finnish, it has good examples of this difficult nuance. My tendency is
toward pronouncing d, b as continuants whenever they occur between vowels, whether
initially finally or medially in a word or morpheme, but your version perhaps matches the
later sound more (together with monopththongic ai and au). The holding of unstressed
vowel (as in endings)  was perhaps slightly too long, so that it sound "over-enunciated".
Also, short "i" should probably sound less fronted (imma vs. eima), more like MnE "it" or
Fin. "sinulla". I'll keep listening to it for anything else. Very nice work all in all.

-Matthew

http://us.click.yahoo.com/S.QlOD/3MnJAA/Zx0JAA/wWMplB/TM