[gothic-l] Re: William Morris' _Markamannans_

llama_nom 600cell at OE.ECLIPSE.CO.UK
Fri Mar 18 21:39:50 UTC 2005

Hails Reikahardus!

Using Wulfila's spelling, this is how I would reconstruct them with
what I hope are the etymologically "correct" stem-vowels that would
be expected in biblical Gothic, but it could be that any of the
forms you suggest would be appropriate for later Gothic where
unstressed vowels seem to have become confused, e.g. in the Calendar
we find Friþa- in a name, instead of *Friþu-.  Sometimes even in
biblical Gothic, compounds were formed without any stem vowel, or
occasionally even with an unexpected/incorrect one, but I don't know
of any rules to predict that.  Still, these are what I think would
be the normal forms:

1) *Wulfiggs (gg = ng, cf. gadiliggs "cousin" = OE gædeling;
*Gardiggs, a Visigothic aristocratic title recorded as
Latin 'gardingus').
2) *Mairqiwidus ('mierce' is a ja-stem in OE)
3) *Þiudawulfs (just as you have it)
4) *Widuahva, -flodus, -rinno, -wato, -lagus (BUT SEE BELOW)
5) *Midjamarka? (or maybe *Midjunmarka?, as in Midjungard = OE
Middangeard).

I would Gothicize William Morris's river Mirkwood-water as
Mairqiwidaus ahva "Mirkwood's River".  Reasoning: The river Jordan
is called Iaurdane ahva.  The rivername ending -ava in eastern
European placenamed is sometimes derived from Gothic *ahva, although
I gather this isn't always the case.  The Old Norse poem Hlöðskviða
(preserved in the Saga of Hervor and King Heidrek) uses a genitive
construction for a placename related to Mirkwood: Myrkviðar
heiðr "Mirkwood's Heath".  This poem is thought to be based on very
old traditions concerning the heyday of the Goths, and their wars
with the Huns.

Re. WATER: Go. 'ahva' "river, flowing water, flood" = Gk.
potamos; 'flodus' "river, flood" = Gk. potamos; 'rinno' "mountain
stream, brook, torrent" = Gk. xeimarrous; 'wato' = Gk. hudwr &
derivatives, and is used of water for drinking and water in
general.  *lagus is not attested in the Gothic bible or other
fragments, but accurs as one of the letter/rune names in the Vienna-
Salzburg codex, spelt 'laaz'.  For usage you'd have to look to
cognates like OE lagu, ON lögr (I can think of one placename with
this: Lögrinn "the water" is the Old Icelandic name for Lake Mälaren
in Sweden).  Also: marei, marisaiws 'lake, sea', e.g. that of
Galilee.  Where was St. Paul shipwrecked, the Agean?  That's 'marei'
as well.  'saiwe', gen.pl., strangely enough, translates
Latin 'paludes' "marshland(s)" in the Deed of Naples.

Llama Nom

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "galadhorn" <galadhorn at t...> wrote:

> Heils, Friónds!
>
> I am just trying to reconstruct the Gothic names in William
Morris'
> book "The Tale of the Wolfings...". He has presented the names in
> the Anglicized forms, e.g. _Mark-men_, _Wolfings_, _Mirkwood_. I
> would like to ask you for your help in giving theim
their "original"

http://us.click.yahoo.com/pkgkPB/SOnJAA/Zx0JAA/wWMplB/TM