[gothic-l] Re: Gothic Gods

llama_nom 600cell at OE.ECLIPSE.CO.UK
Fri Mar 25 21:28:35 UTC 2005

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, åÇÏÒÏ× ÷ÌÁÄÉÍÉÒ <vegorov at i...>
wrote:
> *****
>
> Llama Nom,
> your reconstruction and explanation of Gothic *Gaizawandils
> as <wandering star> looks very attractive
> (maybe a more correct is <star wanderer>?).
> Accepting them as a whole I'd suggest
> a Slavonic origin for <Gaiza->
> (cf. Polish <gwiazda>, Russian <zvezda> - star).
>
> Vladimir

Vladimir,

I don't know the rules for matching up cognates in Germanic and
Slavonic, but in this instance gaiza- is a reconstruction of a word
meaning "spear", found in all the Germanic languages, and a common
name-forming element.  It probably comes from an IE root (cf. Greek
gaison, Old Irish gae).  To be honest I was just having bit of wild
speculation.  To look at it sceptically, there is every chance that
the name was invented by Saxo or some other Norse mythographer to
match Orwendil.  But, who knows, maybe the this was a later
rationalisation of an old name whose original meaning was no longer
comprehensible in Scandinavia.  Or maybe it was assimilated to the
Germanic word long before.  What is the oldest recorded form of
gwiazda / zvesda?

Llama Nom

http://us.click.yahoo.com/S.QlOD/3MnJAA/Zx0JAA/wWMplB/TM