[gothic-l] Re: Gothic Gods

Le Bateman LeBateman at ATT.NET
Mon Mar 28 05:03:32 UTC 2005

Since the AS name is Mona, would the Gothic  name  be closer to Munais.
Le
----- Original Message -----
From: "Seth Estlow" <hammerwolf777 at hotmail.com>
To: <gothic-l at yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Friday, March 25, 2005 1:51 PM
Subject: [gothic-l] Re: Gothic Gods

Actually, with "Mena" I was looking for the Gothic name for Mani,
the moon god. His name literally translates to "moon" so I suppose
what I need is the Gothic word for moon. I would appreciate it if
someone would tell me what the word is. Thank you for all the
information, I really appreciate it.

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "llama_nom" <600cell at o...> wrote:

> They look fine to me, except that Old Norse -a in feminine and
> neuter weak nouns = Go. -o.  'Sunno' "sun" is attested 3 times in
> this form, once as a feminine accusative: sunnon seina, and twice
as
> a ?masculine/neuter dative 'sunnin'.  Wright reconstructs the
latter
> as masc. *sunna, but Braune/Helm suggests that a neuter
> alternative 'sunno' would be a more likely, given the similarity
> the feminine form, and maybe the influence of neuter 'sauil' "sun".
>
> 'Mena' I don't recognise, but ON 'Menja' I would guess could be
Go.

=
> Go. *Austro < Gmc. *Austron.  Her feast, like Yule, would be
plural:
> Go. *Austrons, cf. New High German Ostern.
>
> Nairyus, Wulthus.  *Nairþus, Wulþus.  As you're probably aware,
the
> English 'thin', represented in the Gothic alphabet with a
character
> that looks like the Greek letter psi.
>
> 'Enguz' is the form in the Vienna-Salzburg codex, the final <z>
> being an Old High German spelling of [s], as in English "sea".  In
> Wulfilan spelling this would probably be *Iggws = *Ingws < Gmc.
> *Ingwaz.
>
> Connected with Ing in the OE rune poem are the Heardingas, whose
> name appears in ON as the legendary twins the Haddingjar, and in
> Roman writers as the Astingi, the Vandal dynasty who conquered
North
> Africa.  Go. *Hazdiggos = Hazdingos.  Regarding these twin gods,
see
> Tacitus 43 on the Alci.  Their individual names are known only in
> connection with the Vandals: *Rafts "beam", *Raus "reed" (recorded
> in Greek as Raptos, Raos).  For possible archeological evidence of
> the cult of the twins among the Naharvali, see HR Ellis Davidson,
> Gods and Myths of Northern Europe, p. 169.  Jakob Grimm saw this
> tribe, also given as Nahanarvali, as being named after a goddess,
> positing a Gothic *Nawarne-haleis, the people of *Nawarns or
> *Nawairns.  Nawarns would then be a goddess of death, cf. Gothic
> naus corpse (ON nár, OE ne) < Germanic *nawiz, and Lith. nahwe
> (f.) 'death'.  If that's right, the *Nawairns might make more
sense
> as the Go. form.  According to Grimm, this deity would be the
> etymological and spiritual precursor of the norns, known to us
from
> the later Norse mythology.  But I've no idea if there's anything
in
> all this speculation, or whether this ending -rnaz is attested
> elsewhere.  I haven't seen such an explanation of ON 'norn'
> elsewhere.  Could be *Nawairns is a product of philological
> mythology?  Very likely a coincidence (or maybe this was what gave
> Grimm the idea), but there was a Russian death goddess Nav, and an
> Old Bohemian (Czech) Navaza, listed in the Mater Verborum gloss
> among the demons of plague.
>
> I'd also like to propose *Auzawandils (or *Auzawandila?), as a
> Gothic equivalent of ON Aurvandill whose frozen toe was thrown
into
> the sky by Thor to become a star -- Venus?  (OE
Earendel 'brightest
> of angels', German Orendel the mariner, ON Vandill the sea-king,
> Danish Orvendill the father of Ambløthæ = Hamlet; Langobardic
> Auriwandalo).  Interpretations of this name have been varied.  The
> second element is probably cognate with the name of the Vandal
> tribe.  The first is disputed.  Theories mentioned by Rudolf
Simek's
> Dictionary of Northern Mythology include links with ON aurr
('gold'
> related to Latin aureus), giving a meaning 'golden' or 'bright
> Vandal' or 'ray of light' (with the second element from ON vöndr,
> staff); or ON aurr 'wet gravel'; all highly speculative.  Jakob
> Grimm saw it as 'arrow' (ON örr, Gothic arhvazna), since
Orvendill's
> father in Saxo is Gervendill, 'spear Vandal' -- but this etymology
> seems particularly strained.  I don't know if anyone else has
> suggested the following, but my guess is that the original
Germanic
> form was actually *Auza-wandilaz, with the first element from the
> Indo-European root aus- 'dawn' (found in English east, Latin
aurora,
> Sanskrit usha).  This suggests a meaning 'dawn-wanderer' or 'dawn-
> turner', an appropriate name for the morning star.  Maybe *wandil-
> meant 'planet' too (cf. Greek. asteres planetai 'wandering stars'
> and Latin stellae errantes, with the same meaning).  Could
> Gervendill (there is a cognate Old High German personal name:
> Kerwentil recorded) have been the evening star?  The Gothic form
> would be *Gaizawandils.
>
> Llama Nom

You are a member of the Gothic-L list.  To unsubscribe, send a blank email
to <gothic-l-unsubscribe at egroups.com>.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/rkgkPB/UOnJAA/Zx0JAA/wWMplB/TM