[gothic-l] Gothic, Yiddish and High German

Егоров Владимир vegorov at IPIRAN.RU
Wed May 4 06:33:20 UTC 2005

*********************

Hi Tore!

I guess there are no evidences of any exodus of Jews from Rhineland,
neither narrative nor archaeological. Density of Jewish population
along Upper Rhine during the crusades was insufficient to leave any
distinct archaeological traces. However, the German language was in
the central Europe of that time a universal communication means among
poly-national merchants. The Khazar merchants were not excluded.
All subsequent may be regarded only as a hypothesis.
After the downfall of the Khazar Empire the masses of the Khazars,
having spoken various languages and basically more or less related
to commerce, might rush to the west along the well-known trade paths
and settle in the places occupied by their predecessors, the Huns,
Avars, Magyars, and the Khasars themselves (the so-called Kovars
run away together with the Magyars after an unfortunate insurrection).
A part of them remained in passing along the Great Nomad Path (e.g.
in the region around Odessa), but most of them, like the predecessors,
including the Magyars and Kovars, reached the path end in Panonia
(the territory of the modern Hungary), which turned out a starting point
for a future spreading, to the north (Poland) for example.
But a significant share of multi-national resident population
in that starting point should use the universal communication means
of the central Europe, i.e. the Upper Rhine German idem Yiddish.
Once more, all this is only a hypothesis.
And an additional remark on your reference to "Vita Sancti Zotici".
Like most of hagiographies, this "Vita" is a distinct apology of
Christianity, and the Khazars are mentioned mainly
as the representatives of a withstanding religion having passed
to the True Faith due to a Miracle. The source is useless factually
though nobody denies availability of Khazar communities in Byzantium
and other countries, which might serve as staging posts in the Khazar
spreading. In particular, Kiev was probably such a post.

Vladimir