[gothic-l] Re: Gothic, Yiddish and High German

Francisc Czobor fericzobor at YAHOO.COM
Mon May 23 10:11:51 UTC 2005

Hi, Tom!

There is evidence, both historical and linguistic, that the Crimean
Goths are indeed descendants of Eastern (or "Greutungian") Goths.
The historical evidence is better known by other members of this List.
I will speak a little about the linguistic evidence.
All that we know about the Crimean Gothic language is from the word
list collected by Busbecq in the 16th century.

In that list, there are words that are clearly East Germanic, and not
German, for instance:
salt "salt": Goth. salt, but Germ. Salz
mine "moon": Goth. mena, but Germ. Mond
brunna "well, fountain": Goth. brunna, but Germ. Brunnen
schlipen "sleep": Goth. slepan, but Germ. schlafen
ada "egg": Goth. *addja-, but Germ. Ei
baar "child": Goth. barn, but Germ. Kind
menus "flesh, meat": Goth. mimz, but Germ. Fleisch
mycha "sword": Goth. mekeis, but Old Sax. maki
ies "he": Goth. is, but. Germ. er
tua "two": Goth. twa (neuter), but Germ. zwei
tria "three": Goth. thrija (neuter), but Germ. drei
fyder "four": Goth. fidwor, but Germ. vier

On the other hand, there are words that look rather German than
Gothic:
reghen "rain": Germ. Regen, but Goth. rign
bruder "brother": Germ. Bruder, but Goth. brothar
schuuester "sister": Germ. Schwester, but Goth. swistar
alt "old": Germ. alt, but Goth. altheis
thurn "door": Germ. Tür, but Goth. daur
tag "day": Germ. Tag, but Goth. dags
kommen "come": Germ. kommen, but Goth. qiman [pronounced: kwiman]
singhen "sing": Germ. singen, but Goth. siggwan [pronounced: singwan]
lachen "laugh": Germ. lachen, but Goth. hlahjan
geen "go": Germ. gehen, but Goth. gaggan
ich "I": Germ. ich, but Goth. ik

In conclusion, Crimean Gothic has a clearly East Germanic origin,
being with high probability the descendant of an old Gothic dialect.

For the words looking rather German than Gothic, there are three
explanations:

1. The Crimean Gothic of the Busbecq's list, being from the 16th
century, can be considered a "modern" Germanic language, that
underwent phonetic changes parallel to those observed in the other
modern Germanic languages, compared with the 4th century's Wulfilan
Gothic. Thus rign, brothar, siggwan could become reghen, bruder,
singhen, without any German influence. Also the form "ich" for "I",
similar to German, could be explained through internal changes in
Crimean Gothic: the shift k>ch is observed also in a pure Gothic
word: mekeis>mycha.
But there are words that are indeed suspiciously German-looking, like
alt, tag, kommen, lachen, geen. For these cases, the two other
explanations are applicable:

2. Busbecq, being a speaker of Dutch (Flemish) and German, was
tempted to give a more German form to words that sounded familiar to
him: it is possible that where his Crimean informers said something
like [dag] or [kwemen], he wrote down "tag", "kommen".

3. It is also possible that the 16th century's Crimean Goths were
mixed with later German immigrants, and the language recorded by
Busbecq was a sort of "mixed language", Gothic and German. This would
explain also why German merchants shipwrecked in Crimea in the 14th-
15th centuries could make themselves understood in German with local
people.

Francisc

http://us.click.yahoo.com/pkgkPB/SOnJAA/Zx0JAA/wWMplB/TM