[gothic-l] Re: Gothic, Yiddish and High German

llama_nom 600cell at OE.ECLIPSE.CO.UK
Sat May 21 13:02:37 UTC 2005

Hi Tom,

I've heard this idea suggested, and I don't know enough about the
history to rule out the possibility of later immigrants, but purely
in linguistic terms the language we call "Crimean Gothic"--whatever
its relationship to the Gothic of the 4th century bible translation--
must have been separated from the North and West Germanic dialects
from a very early time (eg. the early Migration Era).  Evidence for
this:

ado "egg", shows the development jj > dd, otherwise known only from
Biblical Gothic.

mine "moon", criten "cry".  In North and West Germanic this sound
was lowered, E: > æ: > a:.  Whereas in Gothic it was increasingly
raised e: > i:, as can be seen from the Gothic Bible, and spelling
of East Gmc. names by Roman writers.

schuos "bride" (probably miswritten for 'schnos').  In North and
West Germanic the old sound /z/ remained voiced and became
rhoticised, ultimately merging with /r/, cf. OE snoru, ON
snør "daughter-in-law".  In Gothic /z/ remained, or was devoiced at
the end of a word.

Llama Nom

http://us.click.yahoo.com/rkgkPB/UOnJAA/Zx0JAA/wWMplB/TM