[gothic-l] Re: translation request

llama_nom 600cell at OE.ECLIPSE.CO.UK
Sat May 21 13:15:30 UTC 2005

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "Fredrik" <gadrauhts at h...> wrote:
> Well, as far as I know the singel words for storm and bring are
skura
> or staurms and at-bairan or briggan.
>
> My suggestion is that "storm bringer" should be translated
> to "staurmabriggands", but maybe someone else has a better one.

Looks good to me, Fredrik.  *staurms isn't attested, but
reconstruction I think on the basis of a Germanic loan into Italian.
In the same way you could also have: SKURABRIGGANDS, probably
pronounced something like ['sku:ra''briNants], "skoora bring-gants",
main stress on the first syllable, secondary stress on "bring".  The
<au> in <staurm> is a short open mid front vowel [O], as in English
<thought>, but short.

http://www.phon.ucl.ac.uk/home/sampa/home.htm

Llama Nom

http://us.click.yahoo.com/rkgkPB/UOnJAA/Zx0JAA/wWMplB/TM