[gothic-l] Re: a Gothic poem

llama_nom 600cell at OE.ECLIPSE.CO.UK
Sat May 21 15:19:31 UTC 2005

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "llama_nom" <600cell at o...> wrote:

> One more point: 'ni' usually comes directly before the verb (even in
> contrast with Greek), except with past participles of preterite-
> present verbs, e.g. ni skuld ist "it's not permitted", and sometimes
> with other past participles, and sometimes with certain combinations
> like 'ni waihts' nothing, 'ni þanaseiþs' "not any more, no longer".
> So I'd rearrange it: 'ni libaiþ lagga', or else: 'lagga ni libaiþ'.
> Both orders are found.  I don't yet know whether the fact of it
> being a dependent clause would influence that choice.  A matter for
> further investigation...

On the other hand 'ni nauhþanuh' and 'ni þanaseiþs' are both time
expressions, so maybe 'ni lagga' would work.  'ni þateinei' "not
only"; 'ni ainshun' "no one, nobody".  These are all words that occur
often, or in some instances exclusively, in the negative though.

saei inn ni atgaggiþ 'O MH EISERXOMENOS "he who does not enter"

On the basis of this (J 10,1), the best version might be: 'saei lagga
ni libaiþ'.

Llama Nom

http://us.click.yahoo.com/pkgkPB/SOnJAA/Zx0JAA/wWMplB/TM