[gothic-l] Re: a Gothic poem

rausch_roman aranwe at MAIL.RU
Sun May 22 17:07:24 UTC 2005

>hráinisto

So it's -(i)st with regular adjective declension?

>swa lagga swe ik im þiudo apaustaulus
>Here 'lagga' is actually an adjectival form

Obviosly feminine singular.. Oh, right, German uses the same here:
'lange', 'so lange wie' (as long as).
Has Gothic any distinct adverb formations (just out of curiosity)?

>The spelling 'hveila' here is the one used by the Wulfila Project.
>Although it doesn't reflect the sound as well as 'hw', it's useful
>because it preserves a distinction in the original Gothic alphabet
>and avoids certain potential confusions

I see... (Though there should be no problem initially)

>The form 'libaiþ' is because 'liban' is a Class 3 weak verb. Did
>he lessons cover weak verb conjugations? There are four altogether.

No, at least it's not in the presented 9 lessons. But there are
however helpful conjugation charts. And there it reads -áiþ. Am
right in supposing that the pronounciation of _ai_ and _au_ is
deduced
only from analogies in related languages?
The diphtong is breaking up the rhyme scheme a bit...

>saei > þanei, accusative

Yes, of course.

>I would probably leave out 'sa' (see recent posts about "the").
>English is a bit quirky here. We say "heaven" (=the place where
>angels live), but "the heavens" (poetic word for sky).

The only text from the corpus I had a look on was so far the Gothic
'Pater Noster'. And there the article (or the demonstrative pronoun)
is indeed twice ommited: "thu in himinam" and "swê in himina jah
ana
aírthai"

>On the basis of this (J 10,1), the best version
>might be: 'saei lagga ni libaiþ'.

Okay.

So it is:

Hvas ist þata hráinisto ana aírþai?