[gothic-l] the word "the" as in "the house" or "the car"

Егоров Владимир vegorov at IPIRAN.RU
Mon May 23 06:22:49 UTC 2005

*************
Hi Peter!

Maybe it is hard to believe for Spanish-speaking people,
but the most probable origination of the Spanish definite
article <el> is just from late (popular, vulgar) Latin
rather than Arabic. I have mentioned that the Spanish form
Italian <il> might be provoked by Arabic <al/el>,
but Francisc Czobor considers it (in his Re:) as
a natural development within Spanish. Besides,
he added a reasonable observation that the Spanish article
changes by genders as in Latin and opposed to the Arabic
article. Evolving this topic, I could make a note that
the Spanish article does not assimilate its <l> before
a consonant as the Arabic article does:
etc.).
You ask if am I "sure that Latin (il) wasn't borrowed from
the Arabic (el), as well"? Ok, I am not sure,
I wouldn't bet on it, this explanation is only most probable
and acceptable.
Perhaps I understood your question regarding <al> not exactly,
but, in my understanding, you mean the merging of
the preposition <a> with the article <el>. A main meaning
of the preposition <a>, derivative from Latin <ad>, is just
your "leaning towards". Also, using the preposition <a>
in your sense "in the manner of" is typical for Romance
(cf. <all'Italiano> -- in Italian (way), where <al> = a+il;
<au Francais> - in French (way) where <au> = a+le).

Vladimir