[gothic-l] Re: Intelligibility

llama_nom 600cell at OE.ECLIPSE.CO.UK
Sun May 29 20:01:10 UTC 2005

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, macmaster at r... wrote:

> Speaking of intelligibility, does anyone have an idea of how easy
it would
> have been for a monoglot Visigoth in c.500 to understand a
monoglot Frank,
> Saxon, or Vandal?
> Also, would the Wulfilan Bible have been readily understood by
> contemporary non-Goths (again, Vandals, Burgundians, Lombards,
Franks,
> Saxons, etc)?
>
> Or were the differences between the Germanic dialects already a
barrier to
> ready communication?

This is an interesting question, but hard to answer because of the
scantness of evidence.  One test might be to compare the Old High
German translation of Tatien's Gospel Harmony (East Franconian,
early 9th c.) with the various Gothic remains 4th-6th c.  Another
point of comparison is the early continental Germanic runic
inscriptions, contemporary with the Gothic manuscripts.

http://users.belgacom.net/chardic/html/tatien.html
http://www.ub.rug.nl/eldoc/dis/arts/j.h.looijenga/
(see ch. 7)

In the case of Franks and Saxons, my feeling is that there would
have been some barrier c. 500, but a rather flexible one.  I
wouldn't like to quantify that because i just don't know enough, but
the situation may have been similar to that between Old English and
Old Norse in Viking times, as imagined by Þórhallur Eyþórsson.

http://malfridur.ismennt.is/vor2002/vol-18-1-21-26-thorhallur-eyj.htm

He describes a situation where two people speaking carefully to each
other in their respective dialects, trying to make things clear,
could have understood each other fairly well.  I suspect that even a
little familiarity with the strange accent would have gone a long
way to clarifying things, as the grammar was so similar and much of
the vocabulary.  What to a stay-at-home Goth might sound at first
quite incomprehensible could quickly morph into merely very broad
dialect in the ears of the traveller.

Even where the OHG and Gothic versions of the gospels differ in
vocabulary they would sometimes still have been comprehensible, e.g.
where OHG has 'mittilgart' "world" for Got. 'manaseþs', Goths would
have recognised their own word 'midjungards' with a similar
synonymous(?) meaning.  On the other hand it's possible that our
hypothetical Goth overhearing a conversation between two Franks
could miss a great deal.  Bits would be perfectly clear, but if
enough unfamilar words chanced to appear, or even just one or two in
crucial places, a lot of meaning could get lost.

Actually even a stay-at-home resident of the Dark Ages may have
gained experience of the Germanic world at large through the mass
medium of travelling poets, and travelling poems.  The Old English
poem Widsith is narrated by a fictional 'scop' (professional poet)
who tells of his journey to see the Gothic king Eormanric, and of
his meetings with just about every other famous ruler in legendary
history along the way.  We also know that many stories passed from
one end of Germania to the other in those days.  In this way Gothic
legends may have survived the extinction of the Goths.  There is an
OE poem--Genesis A--known to have been composed originally in Old
Saxon (the language of Northern Germany), and some early Norse
poetry recorded in the Middle Ages--Hlöðskviða in Hervarar saga--
shows evidence of continental Germanic style and language.  Poets
and connoisseurs of poetry, the nobility and people associated with
them, ambassadors, merchants, missionaries, soldiers, etc. would all
have had more oportunity to come into contect with the major
Germanic dialects and gain familiarity with them.

The Burgundians and Vandals are though to have spoken East Germanic
dialects much like the the Goths.  In fact a Latin epigram from
North Africa mocks Vandal lack of (Latin) culture, describing their
language as Gothic.

http://www.univie.ac.at/indogermanistik/quellentexte.cgi?5
http://online.mq.edu.au/pub/AHST233/home.htm
http://tolklang.quettar.org/elfling-mirror/017nn/01791

But this isn't very much evidence to go on.  The Arian Christians of
North Africa are said in another Latin source to pray "Lord have
mercy".  The presumably Vandal phrase is garbled in the various
maniscripts as Sihora armen, Shroia armen, Kuroia armes,
Fhrota/Froti armes (Streitberg "Gotisches Elemantarbuch" §15.5b),
reconstructed in Gothic spelling as * frauja armais.  But we can't
tell much from that.  A page of the Gothic bible was found in
Egypt.  Was this as relic of the Vandal kingdom?  Of course, using
the Gothic bible doesn't prove that the Vandal's own speech was
identical.

Does anyone know of classical sources that mention language
difficulties or lack of them among the Germanic tribes?  Didn't
Priscus say something about languages spoken in the empire of Attila?

Llama Nom

http://us.click.yahoo.com/rkgkPB/UOnJAA/Zx0JAA/wWMplB/TM