Neologisms....

llama_nom 600cell at OE.ECLIPSE.CO.UK
Wed Oct 12 15:47:37 UTC 2005

> What do you think bout Karl Marks and
> Frithureiks Aiggels, or something like that, instead of their real
> spellings?

Engels I think just means "English", so you could even translate
that as Friþureiks *agg(i)liska "F. the English".  You could also
inflect Karl, nominative Karls.  Under the entry for 'churl', the
OED has:

OE. ceorl:--WGer. kerl (Fris. tzerl, MDu. kerel, kerle, Du. kerel,
MLG. kerle, MG. kerl(e, Ger. kerl, pointing to OTeut. types *kerlo-
z, *kerlon-, beside *karlo-z, *karlon-, which gave ON. karl, OHG.
charl, charlo...)

The *o here in inflectional endings became *a in PrG, hence these
would normally be quoted as -az (a-stem) and -an (an-stem)
respectively.

> About oppress I have looked at words like wrikan, wrakjan and
kaurjan
> and I thought at that time that these wheren't exactly the same as
> oppress. Persecution doesn't have to be involved in oppresion,
right?
> A oppressed people could just be discriminated or be cut out of
some
> rights etc.

It's a slippery slope though.  To me the social meanings
of 'persecution' and 'oppression' don't seem to be necessarily all
that clearly distinct from each other.  Both could include physical
violence.  Or either could refer to a combination of more subtle
niggling abuses.  Both could be inflicted on a group of people, but
it would be more usual to talk about persecuting (hounding,
harrassing) an individual.  'repression' to me suggests something
more active than 'oppression', but that might just be me.  You can
REPRESS a movement or a meeting or a rebellion or the opposition,
but you wouldn't normally OPPRESS a single specific event.  But a
people generally could be 'repressed' or 'oppressed' and that might
amount to the same thing.  They're all negative words in the sense
that governments wouldn't admit to such actions, even when inflicted
on their stated enemies, but instead talk of, for
instance, "controlling" or "clamping down on illegal immigration"
(instead of actually oppressing/persecuting, assaulting, imprisoning
and indeed massacring the migrants themselves).  I'm afraid I can't
be so precise about the various Gothic words...

> About discover I also thought about finthan, and I might be totaly
> wrong about this but I think that is more like if you are looking
> fore something and then find it.

If you look at the examples, 'finþan' seems to be more restricted
than English "find".  'finþan' has the sense of discovering
information, coming to know, or learning (finding out) a
fact.  'fanþ' and 'ufkunnaida' both translate Greek 'egnw' "came to
know, learnt, discovered (information)".  The more general sense
of "find" (e.g. find an object or encounter a person, also discover
someone to be something) is covered by 'bi-gitan'.

iþ Peilatus sildaleikida ei is juþan gaswalt; jah athaitands þana
hundafaþ frah ina jû~þan gadauþnodedi.
finþands at þamma hundafada...
"discovering/learning [that Jesus was indeed dead] from the
centurion"
(Mk 15,25)

fanþ þan manageins filu Iudaie þatei Iesus jainar ist
"a great multitude of the Jews than discovered/learnt that Jesus is
there"
(J 12,9)

bigetun þana siukan skalk hailana
"they found the sick servant well"
(L 7,10)

> I guess that it doesn't takes a
genius to understand what I'm tryin to do...at least Llama Nom have
figured it out :)

Yes, even me!

Llama Nom

http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/wWMplB/TM