Neologisms....

Fredrik gadrauhts at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri Oct 14 14:27:58 UTC 2005

My neologisms that you havent commented I guess you find quite
awright...is that really so??????????

> It's a slippery slope though.  To me the social meanings
> of 'persecution' and 'oppression' don't seem to be necessarily all
> that clearly distinct from each other.  Both could include physical
> violence.  Or either could refer to a combination of more subtle
> niggling abuses.  Both could be inflicted on a group of people, but
> it would be more usual to talk about persecuting (hounding,
> harrassing) an individual.  'repression' to me suggests something
> more active than 'oppression', but that might just be me.  You can
> REPRESS a movement or a meeting or a rebellion or the opposition,
> but you wouldn't normally OPPRESS a single specific event.  But a
> people generally could be 'repressed' or 'oppressed' and that might
> amount to the same thing.  They're all negative words in the sense
> that governments wouldn't admit to such actions, even when
inflicted
> on their stated enemies, but instead talk of, for
> instance, "controlling" or "clamping down on illegal immigration"
> (instead of actually oppressing/persecuting, assaulting,
imprisoning
> and indeed massacring the migrants themselves).  I'm afraid I can't
> be so precise about the various Gothic words...

I'm not that good at english so I my definitions aint that good
either I guess...I think I'll go with your suggestions after all

> If you look at the examples, 'finþan' seems to be more restricted
> than English "find".  'finþan' has the sense of discovering
> information, coming to know, or learning (finding out) a
> fact.  'fanþ' and 'ufkunnaida' both translate Greek 'egnw' "came to
> know, learnt, discovered (information)".  The more general sense
> of "find" (e.g. find an object or encounter a person, also discover
> someone to be something) is covered by 'bi-gitan'.

In the texte the sentence was to discover America...is it ok with
finthan there?

> > I guess that it doesn't takes a
> genius to understand what I'm tryin to do...at least Llama Nom have
> figured it out :)
>

> Yes, even me!

I hope you didnt missunderstood me!

/Fredrik