Old English dreams (swefn, swefnian, mætan, gemætan)

llama_nom 600cell at OE.ECLIPSE.CO.UK
Sun Sep 4 13:43:18 UTC 2005

Good suggestion, David.  Gmc. *swebna- (cognate with Gk. hupnos) is
neuter in OE, but masculine in ON, OS and OHG.  Means both "sleep"
and "dream".  Often plural in OE.

SYNTAX in ON.  http://www.lexis.hi.is/corpus/leit.pl?
lemma=svefn&ofl=&leita=1&flokkar=Fornrit&m1=svefn+svefns+svefninn+sve
fnsins+svefninum+svefni&l1=Leita&lmax=1

er þér svefns "thou dreamest", "you´re dreaming"

SYNTAX in OE.

ic geseah on swefne "I saw in a dream"; ic geseah swefn "I saw a
dream"; for ðære gesihðe ðe he on ðæm swefne geseah "for that vision
which he saw in the dreams"; him wearþ on slæpe swefen ætywed "he
was shown a vision in his sleep"; þa stod him sum mon æt þurh
swefn "then some man stood by him in his dream"; Hi slepon
swæfnum "they slept with dreams" (dormierunt somnum); oðer swefen
hine mætte "another dream came to him".

swefnian, 1. with acc. of dreamer "to appear to someone in a dream";
2. with nom. of dreamer "to dream".  WHAT CASE IS THE DREAM?

(ge)mætan (long æ), "to dream", impersonal with dat. or acc. of
dreamer AND ACC. OF DREAM, e.g. swa his man-drihten gemæted
wearþ "as his lord had dreamed".  Origin of this verb unknown; no
cognates according to the Oxford English Dictionary.  Not the same
as metan "meet" (Go. (ga)motjan).  The Gothic form, if it existed,
would be *metjan.

*draugm- is based on an idea of Kluge, who suggested the word could
be related to ON draugr, an undead being, and German
Trug "deception".  But there is no sign of /g/ in the attested forms.

Things our Gothic Ranilo fraujo, might say:

Ik in swibna siun  .  gasahv ubils.

Mis swibn warþ  .  þanei saizlep ataugida.

Mik militonde þar  .  gametida hari
swe mus malanans  .  in mikilaim rampom,
gakrutodans  .  kattiwe haiþjos.
Frumist Griutuggos  .  gafahanans wesun,
galausidans aftra,  .  aftra gafahanans,
afslahanans þan wiþra  .  waddjuns unsaros.

Lama Nom

http://us.click.yahoo.com/FXrMlA/dnQLAA/Zx0JAA/wWMplB/TM