Old English dreams (swefn, swefn ian, m ætan, gemætan)

David Kiltz derdron at GMX.NET
Sun Sep 18 08:53:13 UTC 2005

Thank you for your enlightening remarks. Yes, indeed _(ge)mætan_ is
distinct from OE _metan_. My bad.  The latter is clearly a derivative
of _*(ga-)môt-_ 'to find room', or directly the cognate of MoE
_moot_.  _*(ga-)môt- seems to ultimately derive from PIE _*med-_ 'to
measure (for), care, look after'. Maybe, _mætan_ belongs in the same
group. There is a lengthened grade derivative Greek _mêdeô_ 'ponder,
think out, decide'. Or it's derived from _*meh1-_ with a dental
suffix, which would also explain the long vowel. Maybe, a dream was
thought to be 'measured out, apportioned' to the dreamer. This is, of
course, very speculative.

As for _draugm-_, I never was very happy with the connection to the
root _*dhreugh-_ 'deceive' etc.  However, other connection don't seem
really good.

David

http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/wWMplB/TM