Gothic fonts & letters

llama_nom 600cell at OE.ECLIPSE.CO.UK
Fri Sep 30 15:14:08 UTC 2005

James Marchand writes: "The CODEX ARGENTEUS is written in an
alphabet devised by Wulfila, though it seems quite likely that some
changes have been made in the intervening century and a half. The
Gothic alphabet has two styles, one (I will call it style I) using a
sigma-like sign and a nasal suspension for n only, and the other (I
will call it style II) uses the Latin and suspension marks for both
n and m (Fairbanks and Magoun). The CA is written in Style II, and
it seems quite likely that this is a later development, probably in
Ostrogothic Italy. Various ligatures arise out of need for space,
etc., and larger and smaller letters are used."

http://www.florin.ms/aleph2.html#argenteus

The following article by David Landau has lots of interesting stuff
about the manuscripts including a table showing variant forms of the
first few letters of the Gothic alphabet.

http://www.cs.tut.fi/~dla/report.pdf

So there´s a bit of variety.  The Codex Argenteus [
http://www.ub.uu.se/arv/codex/faksimiledition/contents.html ] has
an "S" just like the Roman alphabet.  Other manuscripts have this
sigma-inspired "S" that looks like a backwards "3".  You can see it
in the photograph of Wiljariþ´s signiature on the Naples deed, p.
246 of Peter Heather´s "The Goths", also illustrated more clearly in
Bradley´s book of the same name (but I can´t remember which page).
Online here [ http://www.gotica.de/ ], click on
Verkaufsverträge/Urkunden.  The Bendekpuszta tablet (Fragmenta
Pannonica) has an angular sigma-like "S".  But the Codex Gissensis
has a Roman "S" like the Codex Argenteus.

> I also wonder if there's a font with gothic letters that is better
> use when writing in internet and documents etc. and that might
contain
> real spaces so it doesn't look like one whole word the whole
sentence,
> if you know what I mean.

I downloaded a font called "gothic 1" [
http://www.dafont.com/en/font.php?file=gothic1 ]--not sure if I got
it from this site, but it looks the same.  Do you know any others
that work?  It's fairly basic, with just one dot for punctuation.
It can look blocky on Word if the letters are too small, but okay
when they're big enough.  And if you type any key that isn't
programmed for a Gothic letter, it jumps back to the most boring
font: Arial.  If I want spaces, I just press space twice.

It would be nice to have one with ligatures, multiple dots for more
punctuation, choice of "S", and the option of using modern
punctuation too.

> If some one can explain to me, in short word, how to make an pdf I
> would be very happy...

Do you have the program for making PDF files?  With that installed,
you can convert a web page by clicking on the PDF symbol on the task
bar of your browers.  Word documents can be converted by selecting
print, then chosing "Adobe PFD" in the window that comes up, in the
box that says "Name", instead of the name of a printer.  There's
probably other ways to do it too, but that's what I do.

Llama Nom

http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/wWMplB/TM