Uodalricus

irilaz irilaz at YAHOO.COM
Wed Apr 19 16:43:55 UTC 2006

Hi!

I am wondering about the possbile Gothic variant of the OHG name
Uodalric (lat. Uodalricus). In the development of the German the line
goes something like Uodalric-Odalric-Ulric. In A-S we find Ethelric
and I am not sure about the name Aethelric (is it a variant or a
different name altogether?) and there is also Ulric (although I have
been puzzled by the fact that some sources state that it may also be
a variant of Wulfric (?)).

Will a Gothic variant be Athalareiks (like English Aethelric) or
rather a slightly different name... since the name is clearly
connected with the Rune Othala (Odal - see (U)Odalric) something
like "Othalareiks"?

And a rather amateurish question: could not "Uodalric" be originally
connected to "wod"? Or rather is a Germanic name "Wodalric" and its
later development thanks to its phonetic initial /uod (wod)/ quality
into Uodalric/Odalric (that would mean that the connection with the
Rune Othala /Odal/ and subsequent name explanations might be
secondary, since its original meaning would be quite obviously "Wod-
ric") possible according to linguistic rule? And how would in any
case such a name (Wodric) look in Gothic?

Thanks for any info!
D.