Uodalricus

Le Bateman LeBateman at ATT.NET
Thu Apr 20 04:27:04 UTC 2006

 Woldalric is this the same as Anglo-Saxon Wuldric. Wuldor. This is the
closest I can get to Ullr. A Former English professor of mine who also
teaches Anglo-Saxon says this is the most ancient name of God among the
English Wuldor and Uuoldor the Saxons. The names Wuldfader appear in some
Old English Literature. In the Dream of the Rood and Wuldtreowe Glory Tree.
Treow can also be translated Gallows, but some  think this Wuldtreow is
referring to the Crucifixion. Uoldric would more likely be Saxon Wuldric
English.
Le
----- Original Message -----
From: "irilaz" <irilaz at yahoo.com>
To: <gothic-l at yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Wednesday, April 19, 2006 11:43 AM
Subject: [gothic-l] Uodalricus

Hi!

I am wondering about the possbile Gothic variant of the OHG name
Uodalric (lat. Uodalricus). In the development of the German the line
goes something like Uodalric-Odalric-Ulric. In A-S we find Ethelric
and I am not sure about the name Aethelric (is it a variant or a
different name altogether?) and there is also Ulric (although I have
been puzzled by the fact that some sources state that it may also be
a variant of Wulfric (?)).

Will a Gothic variant be Athalareiks (like English Aethelric) or
rather a slightly different name... since the name is clearly
connected with the Rune Othala (Odal - see (U)Odalric) something
like "Othalareiks"?

And a rather amateurish question: could not "Uodalric" be originally
connected to "wod"? Or rather is a Germanic name "Wodalric" and its
later development thanks to its phonetic initial /uod (wod)/ quality
into Uodalric/Odalric (that would mean that the connection with the
Rune Othala /Odal/ and subsequent name explanations might be
secondary, since its original meaning would be quite obviously "Wod-
ric") possible according to linguistic rule? And how would in any
case such a name (Wodric) look in Gothic?

Thanks for any info!
D.

You are a member of the Gothic-L list.  To unsubscribe, send a blank email
to <gothic-l-unsubscribe at egroups.com>.