Uodalricus

llama_nom 600cell at OE.ECLIPSE.CO.UK
Thu Apr 20 09:20:39 UTC 2006

> I am wondering about the possbile Gothic variant of the OHG name
> Uodalric (lat. Uodalricus).

*Oþalareiks.

The similarity of OHG uod- to Go. wod- is only apparent.  It's quite
normal for Proto-Germanic [o:], long o, to develop into the
diphthong [uo] in OHG, which usually becomes [u:] in NHG, unless
mutated to [y:] by an [i] in the next syllable.  This etymology is
also made unlikely by the fact that OHG d normally corresponds to
Go. þ < PG þ, while OHG t matches Go. d < PG d (regardless of
whether the consonant is changed to þ at the end of a word in
Gothic).

In at least one variety of Gothic, there was a tendency to raise
[o:] to [u:], hence the (runic) letter name 'utal' found in the
Vienna-Salzburg Codex [ http://titus.fkidg1.uni-
frankfurt.de/didact/idg/germ/runennam.htm ], matching OE
eþel "native land", etc.

I'm more convinced by the equasion of NHG Ulrich with OHG Uodalric
than the explanation as as form of Wolfrich, but I don't know the
full story about the history of these names in German.  In Old
Norse, *wulf/*wolf > ulf in a stressed syllable; this doesn't
normally happen in standard NHG, but I don't know whether it might
have any bearing here, for example due to borrowing of the name
between Germanic dialects, or later confusion between names that had
come to sound similar.

Neither is it the same as Athalaric (Go. *Aþalareiks), an attested
Gothic name, cognate with OE æþelric.  OE eþel has a long vowel in
the first syllable, the result of i-mutation of Proto-Germanic
[o:].  PG *ôþila- > OE êþel "native land".  Whereas OE æþele has a
short vowel in the first syllable, from PG [a].  PG *aþalijaz > OE
æþele "noble".  Although these are distinct words, I suppose they
might be connected by ablaut.  This is an old variation that goes
back to Proto-Indo-European.  A vowel would develop different forms
depending on where the word was stressed in PIE.  In the 6th class
of strong verbs, for example, you can see a variation between PG [a]
in the present and past participle, and PG [o:] in the preterite.
Another rule demands that PG þ appear after a syllable that was
stressed in PIE, and PG d after a syllable that was unstressed, but
this is often obscured by analogical levelling in the recorded
Germanic languages.

Lama Nom

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "irilaz" <irilaz at ...> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I am wondering about the possbile Gothic variant of the OHG name
> Uodalric (lat. Uodalricus). In the development of the German the
line
> goes something like Uodalric-Odalric-Ulric. In A-S we find
Ethelric
> and I am not sure about the name Aethelric (is it a variant or a
> different name altogether?) and there is also Ulric (although I
have
> been puzzled by the fact that some sources state that it may also
be
> a variant of Wulfric (?)).
>
> Will a Gothic variant be Athalareiks (like English Aethelric) or
> rather a slightly different name... since the name is clearly
> connected with the Rune Othala (Odal - see (U)Odalric) something
> like "Othalareiks"?
>
> And a rather amateurish question: could not "Uodalric" be
originally
> connected to "wod"? Or rather is a Germanic name "Wodalric" and
its
> later development thanks to its phonetic initial /uod (wod)/
quality
> into Uodalric/Odalric (that would mean that the connection with
the
> Rune Othala /Odal/ and subsequent name explanations might be
> secondary, since its original meaning would be quite
obviously "Wod-