Gothic religion

dciurchea dciurchea at YAHOO.COM
Thu Aug 3 22:19:26 UTC 2006

The problem is to avoid false premises, such as forged data.
Substitution of German tribes for Gets IS such a false premise.
On the topic: the Dacia/Denmark issue IS connected to dacians/gets.
1. It is quite clear that Denmark king Geata was a Get (of
thracian/scythian origin - see his name - and at least one of his
grand-sons :Finn, was called "The Trojan")
2. The swastika is a Getic royal monogram (royal symbol) as old as
500BC - see http://www.snible.org/coins/hn/macedon.html. Basically
the original was a square diveded in 4, where some margins were
removed yielding the "swastika".
    - Also see the Macedonian archeological site at Lake Ohrid (V-th
century basilica near St Clements monastery):
http://adventures.yahoo.com/b/adventures/20060710/rba_macedonia_0706/
adventures7228;
    - The symbol appears in some UK drawings also on clothes; it is
normal use of coats of arms.

It seems it is a monogram not a mystical symbol, that's what. Not
connected to the Triskelion - too easy for a coat of arms;
interesting to find the thracian significance of the Thor's hammer.
Being a royal symbol it demonstrates its connection to Dacia and the
Gets.

So: the name Dacia for Denmark is not random but precise.

Among Geata's ancestors I also see HWala which remainds me (very
strongly) of Vlaha here. That's how I connect the nordic realm of
the Danish kings and heroes to that of the pagan Dacians here and
the mega necropolis at Vlaha: starting with Walhalla and Walkiries :
the Dacian capital at Vlaha and some cult of ancestry. This may also
be connected with the Thracian use of burial mounds (tumuli); there
are in the North a few. No fiction.

Btw, I invite you to note the long life of toponimics in
Transylvania (whre Goths are suposed to have lived):

Today we have at least 4 villages Obreja(2 are Dacian archeological
sites) and many family names of Obreja. At the museum in Cluj
(http://download.academic.ro/muzeu/lingou-1.jpg) I see a gold bar
bearing the inscription "Lus Fmus Obrisic"-i.e. "the illustruous and
famous Obrisic" in fair Romanian-i.e. Thracian; near it, a mark of
the Penates gods with label DDD and another mark  representing Zeus
in a standard helenistic stile with the label "SIL"-i.e. baSILeus.
According to "Erdely Tortenete"(and its inconsistent interpretation)
the label DDD is from the 4-th century
(http://mek.oszk.hu/03400/03407/html/30.html)-the Gothic chapter.
This is unreliable.  The label DDD is used by Macedonians to
designate the Penates and was assigned to Augustus on coins about 1
AD (see the coins link above).
Digresion: Family names in Transylvania are formed starting with the
village of origin; suffix -ic is a diminutive; Obrisic means then,
from Obreja;
On another bar from the same Basileus
(http://download.academic.ro/muzeu/lingou-3.jpg) I can read one
mark ".....HODIGNA"(Romanian peace, rest) followed by a monogram as
a palm. According to the symbols used on coins, that palm (see the
coins link above) corresponds to the style of 149 BC coins.
These bars demonstrate the use of fair Romanian( Thracian?) by the
inhabitants of Transylvania. I don't believe it can be framed in the
Germanic languages.

So, the "Erdely Tortenete" and the Germanic hypothesis on Goths is
wrong about 4-5 hundred years in dating the antique finds in
Transylvania and incorrectly interpreting facts otherwise clear in
the frame of the helenistic culture. This is highly unreliable in
assigning linguistic aspects of the Thracians
(Gets/Wallachians/Romanians) to some Germanic population also.

Dear Feri, in proposing borrowings to Romanian, please be cautious:
Romanian seems to be very old while Turkish has a thracian roots
also; you may better forget borrowings from Hungarian such as Tau,
Tautza ; Taetwa was a Danish king  :). Maybe you find something
Danish at least.

Sincerely,
D. Ciurchea

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "Francisc Czobor" <fericzobor at ...>
wrote:

> Michael is right. If Jordanes and others made the Gets to be Goths
(and
> Dacians to be Danes...), we should not fall into the other extreme
and
> make all the Goths to be Gets.
> Myself too, being Romanian, was tempted by this. However, the
Goths
> were surely Germanic, as attested by their language and their
names,
> whereas everybody agrees (hopefully) that the Daco-Gets were
Thracians.
> Otherwise, if we made the equation Gets=Goths and acknowledging
the
> Germanic character of the later, should we admit that the Daco-
Gets
> where not Thracian, but Germanic?
>
> Francisc
>
> --- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, Michael Erwin <merwin@> wrote:
> >
> > If Gothic is Getic (Dacian) then the codices Argenteus,
Carolinensis