"Victovaloke" (was: Re: Name of the Goths)

Francisc Czobor fericzobor at YAHOO.COM
Fri Aug 4 14:30:33 UTC 2006

Now I understand what that strange word "Victovaloke" actually means!
It is just the Hungarian genitive plural form of Victoval (another
attested version of the tribe name Victoal-, Victobal-, Victofal-
etc.), meaning "of the Victovals".
The whole phrase in "Erdély Története" (History of Transylvania) is:
"Dacia Porolissensis északnyugati határán a Szamos völgyében 168-ban
jelenik meg az elsõ betelepülõ keleti germán törzs: a victovaloké."
(Vol. 1, page 131)
The translation is approx. "At the northwestern border of Dacia
Porolissensis in the valley of Szamos (Somes) river, appears in [the
year] 168 the first immigrating Eastern-Germanic tribe: [that] of the
Victovals."
In conclusion, all the reasonings about "Victo Valoke - The Romans
vainquished the Wallachians" are just aberrations caused by reading a
Hungarian text without knowing the language.

Francisc