Gepidic *skima?

dciurchea dciurchea at YAHOO.COM
Sat Aug 5 21:17:44 UTC 2006

Perhaps Romanian "spaima" would help: it might mean fear; mainly
after having an intense  surprise; the discharge of adrenalin after
a surprise would be a good description of the term; it is quite
common, somewhat similar to "sperietura".

but  --- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "ualarauans" <ualarauans at ...>
wrote:

> Walhahrabns allans Walhakunnandans hailans wisan weneith!
>
> Wiljau fraihnan izwis, gamathljans liubans, jau mahteig izwis
> thugkjai, us sumamma (jath-thanuh hvileikamma?) waurde razdos
> austrawalhiskaizos thizos nu bruhtons thata gibidisko waurd *skima
> aftragasatjan? Waurd jainata skulda, thande insahtim thaimei
> gamotida galaubjau, "skaduleikan", "frisaht unhulthons" jah
> silban "Drakilan thana blothdrugkjan" ustaiknjan. Jabai nu ita
> mith "niuja-bigitanaim" waurdam rahnjaima, hvaiwa bi biuhtja kreka-
> gutiskamma anameljaidau - *skima aiththau *skeima aiththau jan-
nauh
> hve? Ith taujandans swa ni ufarmunnoma ei Wulfila sa swera
> aipiskaupus jah Gutthiudos frumists daupjands (gawairthi mith
imma)
> thizuh waurdis ("skeimam") in aiwaggeljon thairh Iohannen
(.ih.:.g.)
> swe mith "haizam" samanamnjandins bruhta.
>
> Hi!
>
> I've got a question to the experts in Romanian here. Somewhere I
saw
> a reconstructed Gepidic *skima, based on an East-Germanic loanword
> into Romanian and meaning smth like "ghost", "specter" or similar
> (it was translated into German as "Schattengestalt", as far as I
> remember). Is it Rom. stima (if it's [stsima], with a "comma"
under
> the -t- < palatalized [k]), mentioned in #8951 by Andrei Stirbu?
> What does it mean in today's Romanian, I wonder? And what could
its
> probable reconstruction in written Gothic be like? - *skima M./F.
or