Gepidic *skima?

ualarauans ualarauans at YAHOO.COM
Sun Aug 6 03:12:00 UTC 2006

At http://www.transylvania.info/Dictionary/dictionary.php I found
Rom. stima (with an "arc" over -a-) translated
as "awe", "dread", "fear". But as it stands also
for "appreciation", "honor", "respect" et sim, I'd rather think it
comes from late Latin estimare. Maybe this stima < Gep. *skima was
somebody's wild guess?
At http://dictionare.edu.ro/search.php?cuv=stima&source= they say
ªTÍMÃ1, ºtime, s.f. Personaj din mitologia popularã, imaginat ca o
femeie care protejeazã apele, pãdurile, comorile etc. - Din ngr.
shíma.
and
ªTÍM//Ã2 ~e f. (în mitologia popularã) Fiinþã imaginarã cu chip de
femeie, înzestratã cu forþe supranaturale, care protejeazã apele,
munþii, pãdurile etc. /Orig. nec.
where I can notice words "popular mythology", "imaginary", "woman
protecting smth" (mountains?), "supernatural force(s)"... and that
the origin is not clear, right?
Spaima seems less appropriate phonetically, though I've got only a
slight idea about historical development of Romanian sounds.

Multumesc frumos / Thagk fairhaitands
Ualarauans

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "dciurchea" <dciurchea at ...> wrote:

Perhaps Romanian "spaima" would help: it might mean fear; mainly
after having an intense  surprise; the discharge of adrenalin after
a surprise would be a good description of the term; it is quite
common, somewhat similar to "sperietura".

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "ualarauans" ualarauans at ... wrote:

Walhahrabns allans Walhakunnandans hailans wisan weneith!

Wiljau fraihnan izwis, gamathljans liubans, jau mahteig izwis
thugkjai, us sumamma (jath-thanuh hvileikamma?) waurde razdos
austrawalhiskaizos thizos nu bruhtons thata gibidisko waurd *skima
aftragasatjan? Waurd jainata skulda, thande insahtim thaimei
gamotida galaubjau, "skaduleikan", "frisaht unhulthons" jah
silban "Drakilan thana blothdrugkjan" ustaiknjan. Jabai nu ita
mith "niuja-bigitanaim" waurdam rahnjaima, hvaiwa bi biuhtja kreka-
gutiskamma anameljaidau - *skima aiththau *skeima aiththau jan-nauh
hve? Ith taujandans swa ni ufarmunnoma ei Wulfila sa swera
aipiskaupus jah Gutthiudos frumists daupjands (gawairthi mith imma)
thizuh waurdis ("skeimam") in aiwaggeljon thairh Iohannen (.ih.:.g.)
swe mith "haizam" samanamnjandins bruhta.

Hi!

I've got a question to the experts in Romanian here. Somewhere I saw
a reconstructed Gepidic *skima, based on an East-Germanic loanword
into Romanian and meaning smth like "ghost", "specter" or similar
(it was translated into German as "Schattengestalt", as far as I
remember). Is it Rom. stima (if it's [stsima], with a "comma" under
the -t- < palatalized [k]), mentioned in #8951 by Andrei Stirbu?
What does it mean in today's Romanian, I wonder? And what could its
probable reconstruction in written Gothic be like? - *skima M./F. or
*skeima M./F., the latter being attested in Wulfila's translation
(Dat. Pl. skeimam in Joh. 18:3) for "lantern" or "torch", synonymous
with haizam (ibidem)?