"Victovaloke" (was: Re: Name of the Goths)

David Kiltz derdron at GMX.NET
Sun Aug 6 07:14:35 UTC 2006

On 05.08.2006, at 23:10, dciurchea wrote:

> concerning the stream of the Romanian linguists, there is no
> established line to rely on. There is no God in science anyway.
> Please refer for a good article on that at:
> http://www.gandirea.ro/linguistic_history_errors.php

I found the article to be only assertive of the author's amazing lack
of understanding of comparative linguistics. I wouldn't go into all
the many things that are wrong, or plainly absurd in his diatribe.
Comparative linguistics (and linguistics in general) has moved on so
much, it's interesting he never really cites recent literature
(unless Romanian on rather non-linguistic subjects). If any of the
'humanities' can claim scientific methodology it is precisely
linguistics. This looks like a feeble attempt to create a pseudo-
tabula rasa for feverish, mostly nationalistic dreams of the author.
While there are many open questions, not least because of lack of
material, this is totally normal for any science. Just look, e.g. at
biology, where there are a myriad of questions that still go
unanswered since 200 years. Comparative linguistics has provided us
with so much, it doesn't have to be ashamed of comparison with other
sciences. Of course, quoting from a Larousse of 1938 and then
claiming 'no progress has been made' is rather pathetic. The author's
initial premiss 'no basis for Indo-European' remains totally hollow
throughout the article. This is like saying "the theory of evolution
is but a phantasm" and then list some points which are unclear. In
fact though, as is admitted by scholars around the world,
reconstruction of Indo-European is an infinitely more densely nit web
then the evolutionary science of biology can hope to be in the next
few hundred years.

Lastly, there is no God in science? Well, if there is a God, he's
everywhere, not least in science. If not, then not. Sort of a moot
point, really. At any rate, I think some people can be happy there is
no God of science that strikes them down with a vengeance.

David Kiltz