The Passion of St. Saba the Goth

Francisc Czobor fericzobor at YAHOO.COM
Tue Aug 8 07:40:37 UTC 2006

Thank you very much, Andrei, for this info & link.
I knew about the Passion of St. Saba (in Romanian: Sf. Sava), but not
with such detail.
The event happened when the Goths (more exactly, the Visigoths) where
still in Dacia. The river Mousaios where St. Saba was drowned is the
Buzau river in eastern Romania.
What intrigues me is that the persecuting reiks is called here
Atharid. I knew it was Athanaric.
BTW: this is also a hint where Athanaric's Visigoths were confined on
Dacian territory: the area eastern of the curvature of the
Carpathians, approx. today's Buzau county. Here is the Mousaios
(Buzau) river where St. Saba was drowned, here is Pietroasa where the
treasury attributed to Athanaric was found, and here are the Montes
Serorum (Siriu Mountains) where Athanaric attempted a last resistance
against the invading Huns.

Francisc

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "andrei_stirbu" <andrei_stirbu at ...>
wrote:

> "Another text crucial to our understanding of the Gothic reception
of
> Christianity is the Passion of St. Saba the Goth. The text survives
in
> 10th century manuscripts, but the story itself dates the martyrdom
of
> St. Saba to April 12, 372 AD. The story tells us that Saba was a
Goth
> living in Gothic territory, and had been a Christian since
childhood.
> He had no possessions except for the bare necessities.
>
> As the story goes, Christians were compelled to eat flesh sacrificed
> according to Gothic tribal customs, and therefore unclean to
> Christians. At the level of the village, it seems that Christianity
> could be tolerated, as long as it was not practiced overtly
> (translated sections are quoted from Heather and Matthews, 1991):
>   	  	[W]hen the chief men in Gothia began to be moved
against the