About Villemann og Magnhild

ualarauans ualarauans at YAHOO.COM
Sun Dec 3 17:11:42 UTC 2006

Hails Rydwlf,

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, Rydwlf <mitsuhippon at ...> wrote:

>      1. Villemann went to the river - Villemann(a) iddja (is) at
ahvái.
>    I wonder what a good translation for the names Villemann and
Magnhild would
> be...

I don't know what the name means in Norwegian, so I'm only guessing.
If it's ville "will" + mann "man", then Gothic *Wiljamanna would do.
If the first element is from ON villr "wild", then perhaps *Wilþimanna.

Magnhild is most likely Go. *Maginahildi F.-jo (gen. Maginahildjos)

>    3. There he wanted to play the gold harp - thar wilda ei
gulthaharpon slahan -
>    I have used the construction "wiljan ei" as it appears in some
places of > the
> corpus, meaning "want to".

There's a subordinate clause after ei in such cases, not a mere
infinitive: *wilda ei slahai... (subjunctive), lit. "he wished that he
would slay..." (rather than "play":). It's a construction most usual
with languages which have no morphological infinitive, like some of
the Balkan language alliance. A Goth would simply say: *wilda
slahan..., I think.

>    4. Because the runes didn't augur well - unte runos ni brahtedun
awi -
>    After considering using the verbes gahaitan, fauragahaitan used
as "promise",
> I have decided using a construction of the type "because the runes
didn't bring
> luck". For "luck" I have used *awi, sn. and for "rune", runa, sf.
although maybe
> runastafs, sm. would be more correct.

We've had recently a nice discussion on both these lexemes when
translating Hávamál into Gothic at Theudiskon. Proceeding from known
elder-runic examples a construction Go. *awi giban was proposed in the
sense "to give auspices". I'd also prefer Go. stafs for "runic letter"
rather than runa attested solely as "secret", "mystery" (though I
found myself in a minority with this opinion over there :). *Runastafs
would be a fine compromise, I think.

>    6. He could play the gold harp brilliantly - saruba (hadugba?)
mahta (is)
> slahan gulthaharpon
>    Here I have formed the adverb saruba from #sarus, skillfull.
Maybe it's more
> convenient to use handugba from handugs, clever, wise.

An adverb of handugs would probably look like *handugo (no examples
though). The word could have had a broader meaning than that is
attested, cf. OCSl loanword xondogú "skillful", "experienced" < Go.
handugs.

> I keep using slahan to
> mean hit in the sense of playing the harp by hitting the
strings. "Is" would be
> emphatic and is used only for rhythmic purposes (although at this
stage the
> whole translation is not very precise at rhythm).
>
>    7. He played it gently, he played it clever - ita sloh mith ---,
ita sloh mith
> handugei.
>    I have used the structure "he played it with gentleness, he
played it with
> cleverness" which is more akin to the original "han leika med lente,
han leika
> med list". Another option for my translation would be using the
subject instead
> of the object as I do, that is, using "is" instead of "ita". Anyway,
I need a
> noun for "gentleness" or something similar. I have tried deriving a
name from
> •lintheis, gentle, nice, soft: would it be "•linthei"?

There's an adjective mildeis meaning smth like that. A derived nomen
abstractum is mildiþa, an adverb to be reconstructed *mildjo or
*mildjaba. Also, it's dative after miþ, so if you like to keep this
way of saying you should probably put it miþ mildiþai. Note that
leika:lente:list do alliterate in the original. To say 'laikan miþ
listim (attested pl.)' would mean a quite different thing in Gothic,
though.

> Also, for "cleverness", I
> have derived "handugei" from handugs, clever, wise.

If you use handugo above for "skillfully", maybe it's better to go
with a synonym here, e.g. snutrei?

>    8. The bird calmed down on the green tree - fugls anaqal (?) ana
gronamma
> bagma.
>    Used the past form of *anaqilan, sv.IV, become calm. Also the !
groneis
> neologism invented by J.R.R.Tolkien, if I am not wrong.

Not intending to dispute with J.R.R., I daresay he has not purely
invented *groneis but reconstructed it after the other Old Germanic
languages. And I guess he would agree that a dat. sg. masc. of groneis
be gronjamma.

>    9. He played it gently, he played it loud - ita sloh mith --- ,
ita sloh mith
> thuta (?)-
>    Same as above concerning "softness". I have used *thuts
for "loudness".

Is it separated from þut-haurn? Afaik there are other interpretations
of this element beside "loud". How about *hluþs "loud" with a long
[u:], after West Germanic?

>    10. He played Magnhild free out of the arms of the troll - sloh
(is) Magnhild
> ut trolis arma -
>    A risky one. First, I replicate a syntactic structure found both
in modern
> English and Norwegian that I'm not sure I have the "right" to use in
Gothic. The
> original verse goes "Han leika Magnhild av nykkens arm" that can be
roughly
> translated as "He played Magnhild out of the monster's arm". My
second 'big one'
> is the neologism trols, which I consider particular risky :) I wait
for your
> comments.

Photius' "Bibliotheca" contains an abstract of a longer work made by
Olympiodorus of Thebes, pertaining to years 407-425. In 60b 31-34 we
read: hOTI hOI OUANDALOI TOUS GOTQOUS TROULOUS KALOUSI DIA TO LIMWi
PIEZOMENOUS AUTOUS TROULAN SITOU PARA TWN OUANDALWN AGORAZEIN hENOS
CRUSINOU, hH DE TROULA OUDE TRITON XESTOU CWREI "The Vandals call the
Goths TROULOI ("Truls"), because when [once] starving they (the Goths)
bought from the Vandals a TROULA (basinful) of corn for the price of
one golden coin, but the TROULA isn't equal to [even] a third of a
XESTHS". XESTHS, Lat. sextarius is a measure = ca 0,5 lt. We know
there was no great love between the Goths and the Vandals, and the
latter were usually the suffering part in their mutual conflicts. They
could easily have been telling some mocking jests and calling scornful
names at their more successful cousins, but very unlikely they'd have
used Greek words, speaking themselves the same tongue as the Goths.
So, assertions were made (lacking the books to cite references, sorry)
that the Vandals called the Goths the same name as is ON troll
"monster", "stupid giant". It could be Go./Vand. *trull N.-a, pl.
trulla. The rest of the story was apparently composed by some Greek
author, maybe Olympiodorus himself, to give the name some sense for
the reading late-Roman public. Like Gipedes in Isidor of Seville, you
know.

> I understand it is difficult to know if the Goths had an equivalent
> the Nordic "troll", and if so, which was the word they might use (I
know this
> topic may have been covered in any of the books that some of the
members of this
> list has published, if it's so please tell! Another reason to order
them
> -blush-)
>
>    11. Then the troll rose up from the depth of the lake -Than thar
usstod trol
> af diupei sáiwis -
>    Let me remark how close this one sounds to the original "Men daa
steig trolli
> upp or djupaste sjoe".

Þan is not used initially. Af governs dative. Maybe, þanuh usstaig
(urrais, usstoþ) þata trull (sa *trulla M.-an?) [iup] us diupistamma
saiwa (us diupein saiwis)?

>    12. It rumbled in the mountains and crashed in the clouds - swogs
in báirgam
> jah theihvo in milham -
>    The original says "Det gjalla i berg of det runga i sky". That
is, the
> impersonal is used. My translation would go simply "noise in the
mountains and
> thunder in the clouds". It is ok this way for me, but I'd like to
know any
> suggestion of how to do the impersonal, be it in a "there is"
construction. I
> have looked for it but hadn't had the time to search deeper.

I guess a single finite verb 3rd pers. sg. would be enough. For
instance, auhjoþ in bairgahein (bairga[m], fairgunja[m]) jah kriustiþ
in milhmam [milhmin] (or: in himina). The verbs are something to think
about.

>    13. He hit the harp with all of his concentrated strenght - than
sloh (is)
> harpo grimmithba ana allái motha.
>    The original says "Daa slo han si harpa til bonns i sin harm". My
translation
> for that would be "Then played he his harp until 'bonns' in his
anger". So I
> have used the •grimmitha, sf. as "fury" in the construction ana
allái "in
> all...", cf. ana allái náuthái, "in all our affliction", suggested
by Llama's
> dictionary.
>
>    14. And took away the troll's strenght and power - jah usnam
swinthein ut
> trolis arm.
>
>    Also a parallel of the original "og utvinner krafti av trollenes
arm".

ut is an adverb, not a preposition, in Gothic, afaik. Use better us +
dat.

Summing up some suggestions made above

http://www.dokpro.uio.no/ballader/lister/tsbalfa_titler/tittel_314a.htm
> > (Documentation Project by the Universities of Norway)

96 variations, wow! Which was your vorlage?

Ualarauans