Neologisms in pdf

Fredrik gadrauhts at HOTMAIL.COM
Tue Feb 14 13:06:21 UTC 2006

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "llama_nom" <600cell at ...> wrote:

> > http://www.geocities.com/gutiska/lex/neologism.pdf

Thanx for your comments. They're very necessary though I ain't that
good, (as I sometimes thinik)

> basketball: *sahrjaballus > *sahriballus, *tainiballus.  Long stems
> reduce the connecting -ja- to -i.

Is this a rule for all words of all stems?
I believe the word nati becomes natja in compound words, or am I
wrong there?

> curiosity: *faurweit > *fairweit (the attested word is `fairweitl',
> a spectacle, something that causes curiosity).

This word I actually have got from you, I think. But when I had it on
my website as html document, the í in faírweit had become a strange
sign that I just guessed could be u...I hade like 50% chance to get
it right there...but never

Waldubasi as walþubasi instead can't I understand.
Isn't the word waldus? And why should that become walþu- in compounds?

> equasion: How about *gaïbneins, from the verb `gaïbnjan' "make
level
> with"?

Thanx for this one.. I have tried to figure out a good word for this,
but never found out any. This is good.

> goalkeeper: *> *mundreins wardja.
Is the same as frodeiboka > frodabokos working here?

Like mundreiwardja > mundrawardja.

> good morning: godana maurgina > godana maurgin.  I guess that's
just
> a typo?

Yupp...and I didn't notice that any of all times I read it trough,
looking for errors.

> indicative mood: How about using `haidus' "way, mode" for
> grammatical mood?

You mean replacing -modei to -haidus in all?
Like spillamodei > spillahaidus, wiljamodei > wiljahaidus.
These words didn't I create myself, and don't remember from who I got
em. Actually, modei, is not that good, is it?

> inflame: intandjan?  Attested, but metaphorically.  But the English
> word can be literal or metaphorical too: inflamed throat, inflamed
> passions.

As a understand intandjan mean incinerate, burn up or consume by fire
(Köbler) and I think that differ a bit from what I had in mind.
Can the word inflame be used in the meaning 'inflame a conflict'?

> link: Perhaps Go. *hlagks, mi?  The OED suggests PG *hlankjaz, but
> OIc. hlekkr, mi, would be PG *hlankiz.  OE hlenca, mon, hlence,
> fan., OHG lancha, lanka, fan; lanko, mon.
> [http://runeberg.org/svetym/0527.html ].  The modern English `link'
> is from Norse.

This word I took from dekavurian, and just assumed it was a ja-stem.

Your suggestion for anarchist, 'reikisaka', is ok. What gender and
stem?
If I remember right icelandic has, when it comes to such words, the
loaned forms. Like endings in -ism, -ist etc.
Thats why I have it in these neologisms too. But some could have
synonyms i think.

/Fredrik